My implants are far too large for my taste! I am 5"3 157 lbs and my surgeon used 800 cc saline implants. Any suggestion? (photo)

I told my PS that I felt that 800 ccs was too large and that I was more comfortable with 600 ccs. He assured me that he would make sure that I had the most appropriate size implants. After surgery I saw my implant card and was shocked that he used the 800cc implants after our discussion. I am one week post op and I hate them! They are huge! I have been told that they will not appear as large as the swelling goes down but, I am very concerned. What are my options?

Can I reduce the size of my breast implants?

Your breast implant size does reduce over the first year by about a cup size. If you have saline implants, I can usually use the same implant shell and either remove or add volume. This is usually a smaller procedure than your initial surgery and can be done almost any time after your breast enlargement surgery.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant larger than desired

Thanks for your question.  If you are unhappy with your current size I would suggest waiting at least several months before considering further surgery.  By that time the swelling will have resolved and you will have a good sense of the final result.

Disproportionate size implants

800 cc implants may be too large for your frame and can lead to functional problems over time. Waiting at least 6 months for all of the edema and swelling to resolve is a reasonable course. At that time I would consider down sizing. Hopefully you will not require a breast lift because of skin stretch.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Large implants

I agree with the previous posts but I don't think you need to wait 6 months if you are not happy. I agree that you should wait 6 weeks to be sure that you still feel the same after all the swelling goes down. Like Dr Corbin, my patients are fitted with sizers so that they are involved in the decision making & know before surgery what size they are getting. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

My implants are far too large for my taste! I am 5"3 157 lbs and my surgeon used 800 cc saline implants. Any suggestion?

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after your procedure.
You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.
From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.  
From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
In your case, I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  If it turns out that you feel that you are too large, downsizing of breast implants should be possible.  Of course, much will depend on your physical examination and a careful communication of your goals.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Implant size

It is important to discuss implant size before surgery. If I think my patients are thinking of a size that is too large, I will have them wear the Sixers at home for a week to determine if that is really the size they want.
if you are still unhappy at 6 weeks, talk to your surgeon about a size change.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Thank you for your question and size is an individual decision determined in my practice with the use is sizers in a bra prior to surgery so the patient has no surprises when they wake up from surgery.  Clearly after swelling goes down. If you are still unhappy, make your concerns known to your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

800cc implants- in general- are  large.. Did you confirm your sizes at your pre-op? Did you sign consent forms? You need to address the size issue with your operating surgeon. Replacing larger implants with smaller- is always an option.

Implant suggestions

Thank you for the question and pictures.  As time goes on, swelling will go down and you might find that they are more appealing to you since it is such a dramatic difference from what you had before.  However, if you are dissatisfied, you could have the implants reduced to a smaller size in the future.

Thank you for the question. You are only one week out so with time post op swelling will subside and the implants will settle down. At that time you can decide if these are appropriate for you or do you want to down size. It is vital that you discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. It is always important to try the implants that you will have prior to the procedure to determine if it is appropriate. I always recommend patients to come several times prior to procedure to make sure they are happy with the size. Good luck.