I have had my implants for 3 months. I dislike how they look, feel, and want an explant. Will I require a capsulectomy? (photo)

Hello Doctors. I had a BA/BL done on 6/22. I'm 11 weeks post op. I have 340cc smooth saline implants/submuscular. My results are not what I expected. One implant was placed too high and the other migrates laterally towards my underarm. They look especially odd when I lay down. I dislike them and regret ever having them done. I want to have them removed and need advice. What should I expect on size, recovery and will I need a capsulectomy? I was a C before BL/BA Now I'm a 36D. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment

and if there is anything that could be corrected that would make you happier, you should discuss it with your surgeon.  If you're certain you do not want larger breasts, you should be able to have them removed through an office procedure under local but if you want your muscle repaired, you will need to return to the OR.  Make sure you understand your options before jumping in.

Capsulectomy

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

I have had my implants for 3 months. I dislike how they look, feel, and want an explant. Will I require a capsulectomy?

High riding implants can be the result of capsular contracture or lack of massaging early on in the healing phase. At 3-6 months, capsulotomies and revision surgery can be performed to improve the symmetry and location of the implants. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photo. Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your breast augmentation. The easiest way to deal with this situation is to have your surgeon deflate them. Easy, in office procedure, takes 10 minutes. Let your breasts rebound to their natural shape, and then the implant shells can be removed through a 3cm incision under local anesthesia. Talk to your surgeon. I would not recommend going back to the OR for a "formal" explantation. Your capsules do not need to be removed. Good luck.