Is this capsular contracture? (Photos)

I think I'm getting a capsular contracture on my right breast. It's definitely a lot harder and rounder. I had my breast augmentation December 2015. Does this look like I have capsular contracture?

Capsular contracture

Thank you for your photos but it is difficult to say what is going on here. It looks as if these photos are a before and after image. The breast volumes and the nipple position has changed dramatically between the photos.

Capsular contracture can begin as early as 6 months after the placement of the implants. The initial phase of contracture maintains the implant position but the breast is clearly firmer than it was after surgery. The implant is also less mobile under the breast. More dramatic cases progress and will actually displace the implant as the contracture worsens. This can deform the appearance of the breast and may even become painful. Thankfully this is the least common type.

Neither photo at this time without the benefit of a formal exam looks like a contracture.

I would recommend either following up with your original surgeon or seeking out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you as a second opinion.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture ?

Although  you have some asymmetry, whether you  have a capsular contracture is made  by a  good PE. Check with your PS. 

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Encapsulation versus Incomplete Release

Thank you for your question!  It is very hard to know if you have encapsulation without a physical exam. Firmness and pain can be an indication of capsular contracture, but sometimes the difference in firmness between the two breasts can be from the amount of muscle release. Please make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to be assessed and learn your options. 

Della C. Bennett, MD
Rancho Cucamonga Plastic Surgeon

Breast Evaluation

It is very difficult to say for certainty that you have capsular contracture without an in person examination. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Breast implants

Hi, thank you for the question.

Based on pictures it would be nearly impossible to tell. A capsular contracture its a very complex and dynamic phenomenon. please visit your surgeon or a certified plastic surgeon. 

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Capsular contracture

Difficult to say but your two photos are completely different; on one the right looks larger and looks like it is bottoming out; on the other photo, it looks like your left is bottoming out; what you need is an examination by a breast specialist so that you can be explained how you can get more even sized breasts.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

Dear mars__,

it is really hard to tell without a detailed examination. I would recommend you to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. If you have a capsular contracture, then you might need a breast revision surgery.

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Daniel Barrett, MD

Is this capsular contracture? (Photos)

Thank you for the question and photos. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you. From your description it may be suggestive of an early capsular contracture. I would recommend for you to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Himansu Shah, MD

Breast Augmentation and Capsular Contracture: Information

Dear Ms. Mars__,
Thank you for your questions and photos.
Sorry to hear of your challenges. Based soley on your description and photos I believe indeed you have a capsular contracture.

Capsular contracture is troublesome challenge and difficult but not impossible to treat.
Principals of treatment include but not limited to:
1) removing implant and replacing with new implant (Biofilm concept) using 
skin barriers and "no touch technique" while inserting implant
2) removing all old capsule (total capsulectomy)
3)sub muscular placement
4)use of textured implant
5)access incision: inframammary (breast crease)
6) pre and post surgical antibiotics 
7) use of a "acellular dermal matrix"

I recommend that you return to your orginal Plastic Surgeon of make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members  of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon