From California to Dominican for Mommy Makeover- Con?

Hi, I really want a tummy tuck and breast lift with large implants but California doctors are so expensive! I'll be spending at least $15,000! I don't want to spend that much. I am highly considering going to the DR to go see a popular "doctura" but my husband is concerned about the risks involved, if any. What are risks of having plastic surgery in the Dominican Republic? Or are there any SKILLED affordable doctors in America or nearby?

Destination surgery

Beware of destination surgery unless you can spend several weeks there for your recovery. I have seen all too often infections that occur after patients return home within a few days post op. This ends up costing the patient so much more money especially if they need a revision. I recommend you find a board certified plastic surgeon closer to you. 

Good luck to you!

Pulmonary Emboli

A long flight recently after surgery increases the chance of dangerous blood clots spreading to the lungs.

Help finding the skilled affordable doctors nearby

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.  See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a consult.

Traveling to a Different Country for a Mommy Makeover

It may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States.  The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

These combined procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision and decreases your chances of requiring any revision surgeries.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

PS.

such as in many other countries in DR there are certified PS too. i recommend you to go visit SODOCIPRE on google where are all the PS in DR and look up some comments of people who have done their surgery with dominican PS. 

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Listen to your husband…

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, IS NOT the safest way to proceed. Obviously, safety should be everyone's first priority.

Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. 

You may find the attached link helpful to you. Best wishes.

Going out of the country

I am glad that you are researching this before making a decision.  You may be saving yourself trouble in the future. While it is tempting to go to another country for surgery there are several risks to consider.  The medical standards of care are different in other countries than in the U.S., where we have very high, very strict standards solely for your safety.  Also, if you have surgery elsewhere and have any type of complications whatsoever you may encounter difficulties finding a doctor in the U.S. to take over your care.  This is not a rare occurrence.  Follow up appointments to assess your recovery and give you instruction for optimal results would be missed if you aren't able to see your doctor.  

I encourage you to meet with board certified plastic surgeons in the U.S. and discussing your situation.  You may find it best for your health and your results to stay close to home.

Camille Cash, MD