Age spots in face with sensitive skin?

Hi. I have sensitive skin with psorisis In Head and sometimes in face. I want to know if i can use laser treatment to get rid of age spots on my face considering my sensitive skin problem.

Sensitive Skin with Age Spots

Laser can be a very successful treatment for age spots on sensitive skin. However, please see a Board Certified Dermatologist to determine if you are in fact a candidate. You will need an in-person consultation so your doctor can determine if your skin type, ethnicity, and medical history will make for a safe and effective treatment. 

Lasers vs psoriasis and age spots

Yes, a test spot can be done. Lasers can certainly remove the age spot but worsen your psoriasis, this is called Koebner, however, with correct skin care after the laser treatment the chances of this happening can be reduced. See a Board Certified Dermatologist for more. 

Cheers, Dr Davin Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lasers vs. Limelight for dark scars

Treat the eczematous reaction; followed by Melarase PM cream and Limelight IPL for your dark scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

It depends

When you have an inflammatory condition like psoriasis or rosacea, you always have to take that into consideration when trying any skin brightening or anti-aging regimen. Retinoids, which are common brighteners, can be very irritating to already inflamed skin. The key is to always start these slowly, so that your skin gets used to the product. Peels can be used, but we would want the psoriasis to be under good control. Ultimately retinoids (topical vitamin A products) and glycolic acid, along with other alpha hydroxyl acids, can help psoriasis, rosacea and sensitive acne patients. Laser treatments are less dependent on healthy non inflamed skin. Lasers tend to be more specific in their targets, whether it’s pigment or redness.

Elizabeth Arthur, MD
Rochester Dermatologist

Caution with your condition

Hi behi,I agree that IPL/BBL treatments would be excellent for your age spots.  Lasers would work as well.  However, some medications used for treating psoriasis may make you more sensitive to the treatment.  In particular, methotrexate.  Consider discussing this issue with the doctor managing your psoriasis if you are taking medications. Best of luck!

Laser treats age spots

QHi Behi,

Ablative laser resurfacing is a procedure that uses a wand-like laser instrument to remove the upper layers of skin. It is sometimes referred to as “laser peeling” since it removes old skin cells in order to reveal newer, more youthful ells. This procedure heats the skin layers underneath to promote collagen production, which stimulates skin in the treatment area to heal in a smoother, more even appearance. As with any treatment, there are risks associated with it, though they are minimized in the hands of a qualified ASDS dermatologist. These include: Pain, Swelling, Bleeding, Scarring, Crusting, Discoloration and Infection. A consult with a dermatologist is required to assess your skin condition and if this procedure is suited for your patient profile.

Should you proceed with having this procedure, you need to be prepared to clean the treatment area after the first 24 hours, and then four to five times a day thereafter. Also to take care to apply an ointment, such as petroleum jelly,after cleanings to prevent scabs from forming. Laser resurfacing patients also can expect the treated area to: be swollen for 24 to 48 hours after treatment, experience Itching or stinging for 12 to 72 hours after treatment; And to slough and peel off old skin five to seven days after treatment. Healing takes 10 to 21 days, depending on the size and location of the procedure.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive Skin...

Hi!  Thanks for your question!  I would highly recommend you trying Sciton's BBL for your age spots.  This is a great anti-aging light procedure that has minimum downtime for all skin types.  Hope this helps. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Age Spots/Sensitive Skin Type- Lasers

Thanks so much for your question! Lasers are very effective in treating age spots and for skin tightening. My skin care nurse Annie Bruno, RN uses our Alma Harmony XL Pro and has great success with the IPL (Photofacial option), as well as the erbium resurfacing laser. That being said, because you stated that you have a sensitive skin type, and suffer from psorisis I would gain prior approval from the dermatologist that follows your care before using either of these treatment options. In addition, I would make sure to receive a full skin care analysis from a board-certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatology practice to make sure the IPL/Photofacial or resurfacing lasers they utilize are the best (and safest) treatment options for you. I hope this has been helpful for you!

Have a great day,

Dr. Todd Hobgood
ToddHobgood.com

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers and sensitive skin

Yes, you have many options regarding lasers to rid of age spots.  All are easy to perform and most have very little downtime.  If parameters are chosen appropriately, even those with sensitive skin can undergo laser treatment.  Good luck

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Aging / Spots and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Lasers, microneedling/PRP and skin care can be used to lighten aging spots. You can receive laser treatments with psoriasis, ensure though you do not get burned. I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer