Septoplasty and rhinoplasty. Would it be better to do it at the same time?

I'm going to have septoplasty but I'm also considering having rhinoplasty later on. Would it be better to do it at the same time?

Simultaneous Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

I would agree with the others that if you are considering both procedures, they should be done at the same time. Any cartilage taken during the septoplasty could be used for grafts for the rhinoplasty, If the rhinoplasty were to be done later, cartilage would possibly need to be taken from the ear if there was not enough left in the septum. 

Thank you for the excellent question.

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

These two procedures are often performed together.  The cartilage from the septum can be used for the rhinoplasty if needed.  There is little benefit in staging the two procedures.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty performed at the same time

It is very important to perform both procedures simultaneously under one anesthetic  with one recovery period. In addition, if any cartilage grafts are required during the rhinoplasty procedure, they are harvested from the septum during the septoplasty procedure.  If you were to perform the septoplasty first and then a rhinoplasty later, the  septoplasty surgeon may discard all the necessary cartilage  which may be needed for the rhinoplasty procedure.
 A septoplasty procedure is performed to improve air flow through the nose and is done for medical necessity which must be documented at time of examination and consultation.  A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes, and must be paid for by the patient.
 For more information  about the differences between a septoplasty and rhinoplasty, and many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Should I do rhinoplasty at the same time as a septoplasty?

In my practice I routinely combine both surgeries.  It allows for one anesthesia and may be beneficial if one is using the cartilage from the septoplasty to use in the rhinolpasty.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. As a rhinoplasty surgeon, I'd always prefer to do both operations at the same time. I will almost always use cartilage from the septum to help reinforce the external nose during a rhinoplasty to prevent problems down the road. If someone has already had a septoplasty, that very valuable cartilage is often not there anymore. There are other sources, of course, but it's much easier to do it all in one sitting. Good luck with your surgeries.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty along with Rhinoplasty

This is a common question and I am glad you asked about this issue. It is far better to have your septoplasty and rhinoplasty done at the same time, especially if your plastic surgeon feels the need for cartilage grafts. The source of rhinoplasty cartilage grafts is typically first from the septal cartilage. If you have your procedures separately, then you may not have this cartilage available. 

Unfortunately, in cases where cartilage is needed in the absence of septal cartilage, then your surgeon may need to consider ear cartilage or rib cartilage as alternatives. This adds to cost and complexity, but can be easily avoided if your septoplasty and rhinoplasty are done at the same time. 

Additionally, the recovery for the combined procedure is essentially the same as either one alone. Finally, there may be financial benefit to combining septoplasty ( an insurance eligible service ) with rhinoplasty to improve overall out of pocket expenses. Your physician can best guide you in your decision for nasal surgery. Hope this reply helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon