Its day 5 after abdomen Coolsculpting and I'm having pain now . Although I didn't have pain before. Is it normal ?

Coolsculpting

Pain after CoolSculpting varies greatly from patient to patient.  It is normal, especially in the lower abdomen, to see a delayed onset paint that starts around day five and typically resolves around day ten.  To help manage the pain, you can apply a cold compress or ice pack to the area and is should resolve the pain within seconds.  Also, you can wear tight clothes or compression garments to help with the discomfort.  If the pain becomes unmanageable, there are prescription medications that can be prescribed by your treating provider to help get you through these uncomfortable days. Most pain associated with CoolSculpting with resolve on its own within two weeks. Do contact your treating physician as well regarding your symptoms. 

Kind regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Yes this can be normal. Speak with your chosen provider for instructions and tips to help you with your recovery. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting and Pain

What you are experiencing is termed “late-onset pain” and is a less common side effect of Coolsculpting. This pain is neuropathic and is typically treated with Gabapentin. You may also try alleviating some of the late-onset pain by wearing a compression garment on the abdomen. Call the office where you received treatment as they should be equipped to manage your pain.

Lisa Airan, MD

Pain after CoolSculpting

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Pain that does have a late onset is completely normal for CoolSculpting. Could be anything from soreness, to a burning sensation and can last anywhere from 3-4 weeks after your treatments. If the pain becomes overwhelming, consult your CoolSculpting expert for recommendations on relief. Best Wishes. 

Late onset pain after CoolSculpting

Recovery after CoolSculpting can vary significantly depending on the areas treated and the patient receiving treatment. It is commonly reported by our patients that discomfort can arrive at a number of different points along the process. For some people it can be a bit uncomfortable when the applicator first makes contact with the treatment site as the gel pads are generally cool to the touch and the suction can feel like it may take your breath away. It is also common to hear that the manual massage after treatment can be a bit tender. Later on in the 5 -7 day time period after treatment it is also possible that some of the discomfort felt during the massage may return as a kind of phantom pain. If you are experiencing significant discomfort there may be prescriptive medications available to help relieve some of your discomfort. My recommendation would be to contact the office of your treating physician. Best of luck to you.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Delayed pain

A minority of patients will have delayed onset of pain from CoolSculpting, which is normal and nothing to worry about. The pain should resolve itself over the next couple of weeks and if you need some relief from the pain, I would consult your CoolSculpting provider for options.

David P. Rapaport, MD

Coolsculpting and Discomfort NYC

There are a subset of patients who develop pain a few days after the original procedure.  If Motrin doesn't relieve your symptoms you should contact your treating physician since there are other medications to help you.  Best, Dr. Green

Pain 5 days after CoolSculpting to abdomen

Some patients will develop pain to the abdomen several days after treatment with CoolSculpting.  This is not unusual. The pain usually is of a sharp or stabbing character and can normally be improved with a prescription medication.  You should contact the physician who treated you to discuss your problem and see if a prescription is warranted.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain 5 days post-op

This can be completely normal. Some patients experience late onset pain with Coolsculpting. The extent of the pain and the duration of time patients experience it can vary. In my experience it can last anywhere from 2-3 weeks. 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon