What type of procedure is recommended to enhance my jaw/chin? (Photo)

I don't have a problem with how my chin looks straight on but my profile is terrible. Even when I'm at my thinnest it always looks like I have a double chin. I am horribly unphotogenic because pics will either show my profile or I'll forget to push my jaw out when taking pics straight on and the double chin will still show. Would a chin implant, genioplasty, or another procedure be most helpful?

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant and neck liposuction

The photographs demonstrating a weak and recessive chin profile along with fatty deposits in the neck.  Placement of a small chin implant can help with facial balance and proportions by bringing the chin forward to help with the side profile.  Chin implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes.  The fatty deposits in the neck can be removed with liposuction.  Both procedures can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For many before and after examples of chin implants/ neck liposuction, please see the video and the link below

Chin Implan and Neck Liposuction to Enhance Profile

In reviewing your pictures, you are a beautiful woman.  A defined neck and jawline look great on all women at all stages of life.  You have some weakness in the bone structure of your chin and fullness in the neck.  With the addition of a chin implant, it would elongate your jawline and help angulate the neck.  Adding neck liposuction to the procedure will help sculpt the neck area to give you the best result.  Both of these procedure can be comfortably completed with the patient awake. I hope this helps

What type of procedure is recommended to enhance my jaw/chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and there is excess fat below and in front of the cheeks.  These combined create an oval shaped face. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. I would combine this with liposuction to further shape the cheeks. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant

Thank you for submitting your question and photos.You could consider a small implant or if you are unsure a temporary filler is a smart way to bridge into an implant. It can be dissolved if you are unhappy. Computer imaging will be very helpful when you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure you seek a surgeon that has performed over 100 of these procedures per year.Internet discussions do not replace the advice of your physician.Wish you all the best,Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS