Scars? I have an appointment with a really good plastic surgeon known for breast reductions /augmentations.

I want to get a reduction from a 34DDD. I'm only 20 and I really don't want big ugly scars though! Can someone give me an idea what the scars will look like and how long it will take the redness to go away?

#breastreduction #plasticsurgery

Hi s123b123, Thank you for your excellent question! It typically takes up to a year for scars to fade and I advise my patients to avoid sun exposure/ apply sunscreen to incision areas. In my office we offer Biocorneum scar cream, it is the only FDA approved & effective scar cream on the market. We like to also advise our patients of the importance of seeking out a plastic surgeon who has the following credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle I hope this information is helpful and wish you all the very best in your research.  Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.Kind regards, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips. Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Almost impossible to predict because...

...so many variables go into how a scar turns out.  Genetics, surgeon abilities, suture used, post-operative plan and treatments.  See if this helps.... My favorite regimen is:

1. 1" paper tape (Micropore) over incisions for 3 months
2. SkinMedica Scar Recovery Gel for 3 months
3. Sunscreen/UV protection for life

I start taping immediately after surgery and start the scar cream at two weeks.  The tape is porous and so you can apply the scar cream on top of the tape and it will seep down to the incision and work.  That way you don't have to remove the tape with every application of the cream which can irritate your skin and cause increased inflammation.  I typically say leave the tape on for 3-5 days and then change it after a shower.  You then can apply the first scar cream treatment of that "tape cycle" directly on the incision (because the tape is off and you have easy access to the incision), let it dry and then put the tape on.  Each subsequent scar cream application is placed on top of the tape until your next "tape cycle".

-JGH

Scars after breast reduction

No matter how good your surgeon is, scars after this operation are hard to predict. They tend to be more pronounced in the younger patients.  i'm sure your doctor will start you out immediately with some type of dressing over the incisions. My own personal preference is paper tape. Another option is looking into the "Scarless" or liposuction only procedure.  I hope this is of some help.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon