Should I get rhinoplasty surgery?

As a child, I hit and busted my nose open. The bridge (don't know the medical term) took a lot of the beating. Today, the bridge bone is big, protruding and painful. I can simply tap it and it will hurt. It's very crooked and unattractive also. I want to know if I should get surgery to fix the bridge.

Traumatic injury to nasal bridge

The short answer to your question is that a rhinoplasty surgery can improve the appearance of your nose and reduce the size of the bridge. Appropriate filing can also leave you with a smooth nose that is also straight. Good luck in your ar

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to undergo Rhinoplasty Surgery

The decision to undergo plastic surgery is a very personal one.  A significant nasal injury can lead to the widened or protruding bridge you mentioned.   These cosmetic findings can be improved with surgery.  The pain is a separate issue, which should be evaluated further on examination in the office.   It is best to consult with a board certified surgeon with specialty training in rhinoplasty to discuss your options and review expectations so you can make an educated decision if surgery is right for you.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You should be evaluated in person to determine what might be possible for you . Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Should I Get a Rhinoplasty?

Only the patient can answer that question but you should consult with a rhinoplasty specialist to discuss your appearance, discomfort, and possible treatments so you can make an educated decision.

Rhinoplasty candidate

Only the patient can  answer that question whether or not they should undergo a rhinoplasty procedure.  If the nose issues bother you a lot,  then undergo the procedure.  When dealing with a significantly traumatized nose, its importantly find a surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty, since this is one of the most difficult procedures to perform an all of cosmetic surgery.  The dorsal hump can be shaved down, the nose straightened,  and the nasal tip adjusted, if needed.    For more information  and many rhinoplasty before and after results,  please see the link and video below

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  You may benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Should I get rhinoplasty surgery?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon