Why Isn't PicoSure Laser Working on my Small Black Tattoo?! Should I Go to A Different Practice or Use a Different Laser?(photo)

I've been going religiously every 6ish weeks for the past year to get my tattoo removed. I met with the Plastic Surgeon the 1st time and the technician does the laser. Was told I would need around 10 treatments. I just had my 10th treatment last month, and the tattoo is nowhere near gone! I have fair skin. They say I have a "stubborn" tattoo that is resisting treatment. I worked up to the highest power setting the last two treatments, so I know they are using enough power. What should I do?

Why is'nt PicoSure laser working?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. The 1064 wave length is very effective on black, the PicoSure has 755 & 532 wavelengths.  There are several devices in the market that have the 1064 wave length.  You should check in your area to see if that is available. Good Luck!

Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Spread out your treatments

Thank you for your question and photographs.  How fast tattoo goes away depends on a lot of things.  Wrists are always slow; similar to hands feet and ankles.  If your tattoo was not very old when you started treatments, it is going to take longer.  If you want the fewest number of treatments, spread them out longer. The more time your immune system has to work on your tattoo, the more goes away with each treatment. You could also try some Nd:YAG 1064nm treatments which I assume your surgeon has. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Picosure hasn't cleared black tattoo after 10 sessions

I think that black is better treated with the 1064 wavelength. There are pico lasers and nano lasers with this wavelength that you should try. I think the Picosure is coming out with a 1064 too. Other things which can be done are CO2 laser or microneedling with the treatment and this seems to help.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Resistant tattoo

Often it can be helpful to switch to a laser which uses a different wavelength of light.  Picosure uses 755 nm.  I would consider trying YAG laser at 1064 nm, either Q-switched YAG or a picosecond YAG.  Best of luck.Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon