What is the best option for chest or breast hair removal for a female?

I am a 20-year-old African American woman and I have short, dark hair in between my breasts. I also have some hair on my breasts. I do not want to shave it because I have heard it can cause ingrown hairs and the hair can grow can thicker. What is the safest way to remove it?

Hair removal options for female

Hello,  Laser hair reduction is an excellent option.  Laser hair removal is a series of treatments, usually 6-8 treatments done 8 weeks apart in the trunk region.  Because of the growth cycle of hair, there is only about 20% of your total follicles in the "growth cycle" at any one time.  With darker skin types it is very important that you choose a licensed dermatology office with the correct wavelength's to treat your skin type in order to reduce the risks associated with laser hair reduction.

Good Luck!

Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

Laser hair removal helps a lot in getting rid of unwanted hair. Laser hair removal is most effective when hair is in the growth stage. Because hair grows in cycles, patients typically require a series of four to six sessions spaced approximately one month apart for maximum results. Typically, the areas to be treated are shaved a few days prior to the treatment. I recommend laser hair removal for chest or breast hair removal for a female.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician