Mommy Makeover after Pulmonary embolisms caused from birth control?

I am 30 years old with three children all born by C-section. After having my last child 4 years ago I got on birth control to help with my menstrual cycle. After being on the birth control for less than 2 months I developed blood clots in my lungs. I took warfarin for 8 months and went to a hemotologist and was cleared from any blood disorders that could cause clots. It was ruled that they came specifically from traveling and the estrogen in the birth control. Can I get a TT after blood clots?

Mommy make-over - previous pulmonary emobolism

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • I am sorry you had such a problem with birth control - and very glad you are better.
  • Yes, you can have a mommy make-over.
  • Careful planning is required -
  • The surgery should be well within the safe 6 hour limit
  • You need preventive blood thinning with heparin or enoxaparin afterwards -
  • Probably a post-operative duplex ultrasound of your legs to be sure no clots are forming.
  • And surgical clearance from your hematologist to be sure nothing more needs to be done.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck after blood clots

Yes, you can have a TT even though you have a history of blood clots. You should first get medical clearance from your hematologist and be sure to give a complete medical history to you plastic surgeon during your initial consultation so that proper precautions can be taken.Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and history of blood clots

You ask a very important question that affects you individually and those many women who also want a trimmer figure but may have a medical history including prior blood clots. As long as you have been cleared by your hematologist to undergo a 2 1/2 - 3 hour operation under general anesthesia, additional precautions are appropriate to ensure your safety. These would include cessation of any oral contraceptive/hormone product at least one month prior to operation; the use of sequential compression stockings throughout the operation and recovery; possibly the use of injectable blood thinners although the risk with this may exceed the measurable benefit and provoke undesired bleeding; use of tumescent anesthetic combined with conscious sedation so that you don't have to go  under general anesthesia. Not all surgeons are familiar with tummy tuck under sedation and you may not be a suitbale physical candidate for this type of anesthesia. Best to consult with a BNoard Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate extensive experience with tummy tuck and alternate forms of anesthesia.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Blood clots

Yes you can have a tummy tuck even with a history of blood clots.  There is still a risk that you could develop them again after surgery, so extra precautions will need to be taken.  Be sure to mention your medical history to your surgeon at your consultation.  You may need to visit a hematologist for a work up prior to surgery just to be safe.

Camille Cash, MD