Mini lift? (Photo)

I have this line running down from my chin on both side of my face. It's gotten worse with my most recent weight loss. This is my third weight loss, other two was after having my kids. I've tried voluma but it hasn't helped. It looks worse in person. What are my options for minimizing the appearance? When I pull up my skin by my ears it goes away so I wondering if at age 27 a doctor would consider giving me a mini lift. Would the vi peel help? Thanks!

When I pull up my skin by my ears it goes away so I wondering if at age 27 a doctor would consider giving me a mini lift.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had "early" formation of "jowls".  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Possible Candidate for Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

However, if you learn that you are a candidate, this may be helpful. Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Candidates should also have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but skin with elasticity and well-defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. 

Laser with fat

In my hands the best result is obtained with a combination of fat transfer and laser resurfacing for this issue.

If you have tried voluma and were not happy fat is a great option.

A portion of it is permanent, it has components such as stem cells that will help to rejuvenate the skin and it volumizes more naturally than the fillers do.

Especially if these changes are associated with weight loss. That indicates it is exactly this loss of fat that is leading to your main issue.

Something to consider.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler

For this very shallow line I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler injected into the deep dermis.  A facelift or mini lift is a bit excessive for treating this shallow fold. 

Mini Lift vs fillers

It is not uncommon nowadays for people to get a facelift at much earlier age than in the past.  However, judging from your picture, it is unlikely you would see much benefit from a facelift.  When you look in the mirror and gently pull the skin of your face with your fingers the skin stretches and the line goes away.  It seems that a facelift should be able to accomplish just that.  Unfortunatley, any improvement with the facelift would be short lived and the line is likely to reappear just a few month after the procedure. The best treatment to improve this line is to use a filler such as Juvederm or Restylane.   Consistent use of fillers would also help to prevent it from becoming deeper in the future.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Konstantin

Improving fine lines after weight loss.

I believe you could obtain an improvement with minimally invasive treatments such as laser resurfacing or chemical peels of your skin to maximize the quality of your skin and correctly placed fillers.  While a surgical procedure can help, I think you should try other avenues 1st.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed discussion of your options.

Mini face lift expectations

Thanks for your post. This is not an uncommon line that some people, even at your young age, can have. I definitely think you are not ready for a facelifting procedure. I would focus on skin rejuvenation in your case. I have been very excited about some of the newer chemical peel and laser resurfacing technologies out. One in particular that is gaining popularity is the Halo profractional treatment. It offers significant improvement in skin tone (should help that line you mentioned) and skin pigmentation issues with less downtime. You might investigate that option? Best wishes.

Facial lines after weight loss in a young patient

Thank you for the question and the photo. At 27 years old, it would be pretty extreme to do a facelift or mini-lift. With weight loss, you can definitely see some facial volume loss. This can cause deepening of the normal lines and folds in the cheeks. In my practice, I recommend starting with revolumizing techniques for this first. This could be fillers (e.g., Juvederm or Voluma). If you prefer something more permanent, your own fat can be used (borrowed from your abdomen or thigh areas). Lastly, non-surgical tightening may be an option. We use two radiofrequency (RF) devices: INFINI and ThermiTight. Each of these can help with firming up and "shrink-wrapping" the areas that have become loose during your weight loss. Best of luck moving forward!

Weight Loss Causing Lines in Face

Unfortunately weight loss can affect skin laxity on the face leaving lines, if Voluma hasn't helped I would suggest a chemical skin peel or laser resurfacing.  You are still very young therefore a surgical route would not need to be taken.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

Lines

Weight loss definitely deflates the face.  You are really young - so I doubt you need a facelift- if the Voluma was in the cheek it will give you some lift for sure- you may also want some Juvederm in the fold.  Likely more filler will correct- post more pictures if you can so we can see- and let us know where the Voluma was placed & how much!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon