Mini lift? (Photo)

I have this line running down from my chin on both side of my face. It's gotten worse with my most recent weight loss. This is my third weight loss, other two was after having my kids. I've tried voluma but it hasn't helped. It looks worse in person. What are my options for minimizing the appearance? When I pull up my skin by my ears it goes away so I wondering if at age 27 a doctor would consider giving me a mini lift. Would the vi peel help? Thanks!

Laser with fat

In my hands the best result is obtained with a combination of fat transfer and laser resurfacing for this issue.

If you have tried voluma and were not happy fat is a great option.

A portion of it is permanent, it has components such as stem cells that will help to rejuvenate the skin and it volumizes more naturally than the fillers do.

Especially if these changes are associated with weight loss. That indicates it is exactly this loss of fat that is leading to your main issue.

Something to consider.

DrC

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler

For this very shallow line I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler injected into the deep dermis.  A facelift or mini lift is a bit excessive for treating this shallow fold. 

Mini Lift vs fillers

It is not uncommon nowadays for people to get a facelift at much earlier age than in the past.  However, judging from your picture, it is unlikely you would see much benefit from a facelift.  When you look in the mirror and gently pull the skin of your face with your fingers the skin stretches and the line goes away.  It seems that a facelift should be able to accomplish just that.  Unfortunatley, any improvement with the facelift would be short lived and the line is likely to reappear just a few month after the procedure. The best treatment to improve this line is to use a filler such as Juvederm or Restylane.   Consistent use of fillers would also help to prevent it from becoming deeper in the future.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Improving fine lines after weight loss.

I believe you could obtain an improvement with minimally invasive treatments such as laser resurfacing or chemical peels of your skin to maximize the quality of your skin and correctly placed fillers.  While a surgical procedure can help, I think you should try other avenues 1st.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed discussion of your options.

Mini face lift expectations

Thanks for your post. This is not an uncommon line that some people, even at your young age, can have. I definitely think you are not ready for a facelifting procedure. I would focus on skin rejuvenation in your case. I have been very excited about some of the newer chemical peel and laser resurfacing technologies out. One in particular that is gaining popularity is the Halo profractional treatment. It offers significant improvement in skin tone (should help that line you mentioned) and skin pigmentation issues with less downtime. You might investigate that option? Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Facial lines after weight loss in a young patient

Thank you for the question and the photo. At 27 years old, it would be pretty extreme to do a facelift or mini-lift. With weight loss, you can definitely see some facial volume loss. This can cause deepening of the normal lines and folds in the cheeks. In my practice, I recommend starting with revolumizing techniques for this first. This could be fillers (e.g., Juvederm or Voluma). If you prefer something more permanent, your own fat can be used (borrowed from your abdomen or thigh areas). Lastly, non-surgical tightening may be an option. We use two radiofrequency (RF) devices: INFINI and ThermiTight. Each of these can help with firming up and "shrink-wrapping" the areas that have become loose during your weight loss. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Causing Lines in Face

Unfortunately weight loss can affect skin laxity on the face leaving lines, if Voluma hasn't helped I would suggest a chemical skin peel or laser resurfacing.  You are still very young therefore a surgical route would not need to be taken.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

Lines

Weight loss definitely deflates the face.  You are really young - so I doubt you need a facelift- if the Voluma was in the cheek it will give you some lift for sure- you may also want some Juvederm in the fold.  Likely more filler will correct- post more pictures if you can so we can see- and let us know where the Voluma was placed & how much!

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift an option?

Je0131,

Thank you for the question.  It is difficult to give you a definitive answer based on your photos.  A mini lift could be an option for early aging changes or extreme weight loss, but I think you could likely benefit from laser resurfacing or a noninvasive skin tightening with radiofrequency or ultrasound.  I would recommend consulting with a facial plastic specialist to discuss your concerns.  I hope that helps!

All my best!

Dr. Elizabeth 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion.  Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Aging face

Je0131, Obviously an exam is always preferable but I'm sure that you can be helped with fillers properly injected. An aggressive approach would be to consider a short flap lift; what I call a "SignatureLift". Just make sure you see an experienced specialist that does "only faces". See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon