How long until I can work out after Breast Lift with Augmentation?

Hi, I had breast lift/augmentation 3 weeks ago. My doctor just gave me clearance at the 3 week mark to ease back into light cardio (walking on the treadmill at an incline, doing the stair master at a relatively slow speed). I did that yesterday and feel fine. I wore my surgical compression bra during the workout so I was plenty supportive. I also did some light stretching of my legs (splits) after. Do other doctors agree this is OK? I don't want to threaten my results.

Working out after a breast augmentation and lift

Thank you very much for your question. At three weeks’ post-op, you should be fine resuming light cardiovascular exercise. Strenuous activities, heavy lifting, and vigorous exercise should be postponed for another two to three weeks, allowing your breasts time to fully heal. However, every surgeon will have their own protocol for resuming exercise and normal activities following their breast augmentation procedure. It is important that you follow your surgeon’s suggested recovery plan, as it will be tailored to your unique situation, medical history, and healing progression. If you have any further concerns, I suggest you contact your operating surgeon to schedule a follow-up examination.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Exercise after a breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures.  I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before running or exercise. It's best to be sure that everything is healed. There is always a chance of causing bleeding if you start much before that time. When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Check with your surgeon

Every surgeon has different post op care instructions. The best person to answer your questions is your surgeon's office.

When can you workout following BBA and lift?

I let my patients go back to all of their normal activities at 3 weeks with the exception of chest exercises (push-ups, bench press, etc).  At this point, going back to the gym and running on the treadmill or stretching shouldn't compromise your result at all.  As long as your PS is okay with it, you should be fine!  Good luck!

Post- op Regimen...

Hi Waffle123, 

I think this is definitely ok. The most important thing to remember is to let your body be your guide as you hit the 3-6 week mark. If when you're working out you have pain in the operated area then you're overdoing it and need to stop.  For people who go to the gym a lot (like yourself it sounds) muscle pain and soreness is expected after a workout but after an operation this is definitely not what you want. After 6 weeks then you can go all out. I hope you look amazing!

Michael J. Frederick, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Your plastic surgeon's advice seems very appropriate for light cardio.  In my practice after a combination breast augmentation with lift I asked patients not to engage in aggressive exercise including weight lifting, pushups and other upper body exertion for 6 weeks.

I let my patients return to light cardio and exercising after ten days!!

i let them do things like a spin class and weights for their legs and treadmill walking and elliptical walking at ten days and sometimes at 8 days. you are not going to want to bounce etc so most of my patients hold off running for about 2.5 weeks. 

i did a BA on a good friend of mine and she did a half Ironman 5-6 weeks after her BA and she even did well in the half Ironman. 

i think most surgeons are too conservative in this area. however the key is to listen to your body.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and exercise

I usually allow patients to go back to light aerobics by 3-4weeks as well.  Best of luck with your results.

Returning to exercise after breast lift and augmenation

It is reasonable to return to light cardio activity at 3 weeks.  If you are on the stairmaster I would recommend that you are not using your arms, but only engaging the lower body.  When you return to full body workouts you should avoid direct pec work initially.  Ease into your workouts and listen to your body.   

David Stoker, MD