I'm half Korean/Caucasian with sun spots. Is Fraxel or Clear& Brilliant better or do I skip and go to a hydroquinone product?

I'm 43 and half Korean/Caucasian. I've had BBL treatment several times for sun spots on the right side of my face, but with no lasting effect. The spots are the same if not slightly darker and so I am leaning towards Fraxel, but an experienced esthetician at a dermatological practice recommended Clear & Brilliant, followed by the Obagi skin care regimen. Do I go with a laser? If so, which one? Or do I skip the lasers and go to a hydroquinone product?

Combination of treatments

You will require combination of treatments for best results. As it has been previously said, I would advise you to start with Fraxel and then continue with hydroquinone brighteners, while using Clear and Bright for maintenance and touchups. Good luck!  

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Fraxel versus Clear + Brilliant

Fraxel is a corrective laser while Clear + Brilliant is a prevention and maintenance laser. That being said, both help with brightening the skin and sun spots. The Fraxel will accomplish it much quicker but will also require more downtime. If the lesions you are describing are in fact sun spots, they will respond to both lasers. I usually combine the laser treatments with hydroquinone or nonhydroquione based brighteners and Vitamin C. Asian skin usually has more melanin then typical Caucasian skin and so the laser setting need to be adjusted accordingly. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Clear and Brilliant and Fraxel

It really depends, Clear and Brilliant is Fraxel in the 1927 wavelength only that the power is turned down to 5 mj at maximum. Often in Asian skin types, you will require multiple treatments. I like using a combination of BBL and Fraxel in the one sitting ( I call this Pulse Fraxel). I also add HQ to reduce any chances of skin darkening. Once treated, C and B every 2-4 months with vitamin c infusions can maintain your skin texture. All the best, Dr Davin Lim 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Thanks for your query. chemical peeling will help you more in freckles. Deep peels works better for freckles. You can even combine the two treatments which can have added effect. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Asian Skin and Pigmentation

Asian skin is very delicate and easily gets darker from lasers.  I treat a lot of Asian patients am I would not recommend IPL or Fraxel for your skin from the description.  I would recommend hydroquinones and chemical peels.  Please consult an expert in Asian skin.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Laser for Korean/Caucasian Skin--IPL for brown spots--See an Expert

The IPL laser can be a very effective treatment for brown spots in Asian patients. Make sure that your health care provider is very experienced in treating Asian skin. Best, Dr. Emer.

Fraxel for sunspots?

I do think that the 1927 laser from Fraxel is great to treat pigment with. It is possible that these are not just sunspots but something more complicated. In these cases, a QS laser is needed for treatment. An in person consultation is needed to best evaluate this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD