How can a non-invasive procedure cost $650.00 to $1700.00 per procedure that takes on average one hour to perform?

it seems more a greed driven luxury than a Moderately priced spa treatment. How is it justified and would it not be a more profitable venue at a more affordable price that would increase demand altimetry causing it to me even more profitable as a long term procedure. In line with say going to a well-trained masseuse. or dermatologist.

Cost of CoolSculpting

I have great respect for Zeltiq, the company who created CoolSculpting.  They performed rigorous studies and clinical trials for YEARS before going through the arduous, expensive, and uncertain process of FDA clearance.  There have been millions invested just to make this first-in-class product available to us.  The machine isn't cheap, nor should it be.  It's also not a "spa treatment". It falls under the Medical Practice Act here in Georgia and is considered the practice of medicine.  It permanently removes fat.  That's not spa-like, it's medical.  And it takes more than just slapping on an applicator to make it work beautifully.  The cost is aligned with all these facts.  You would pay that much or more for liposuction, which is likely the closest alternative for many people.

CoolSculpting costs

Costs are controlled through Zeltiq.  These are tightly regulated by the company and out of the hands of the practices which have purchased the CoolSculpting device(s).  There are discounts with practices so these can be explored.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The company sets the pricing 
These machines cost millions of dollars to research and create
That cost gets figured into it

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting and the Cost

You asked an excellent question.  The cost of coolscupting is expensive for one reason - the cost is controlled by the company.  First the physician must buy a very expensive matchine for coolsculping- more than the price of three mercedes benz! Then there is a maintenance or service contract that the physician must pay each year and pay for all of the new adaptors. In addition, each time you use the equipment, you must buy a card for each patient from the company (like you would the toner cartridges for your printer) for every single use and they vary in price depending on the area.  In the end, this procedure is costly because of these reasons and coolsculpting is setting these fees.  Since there is no competition yet to this machine there is a set price with not as much profit as you may think.

As with any procedure, there are costs that need to be taken care of.  The machine is an expensive piece of equipment and with every treatment, there are additional costs that the office needs to take care of, not to mention the other supplies, staff, etc.

Cool sculpting

Thank you for your concern. I don't believe that what you are seeing in the price is a greed issue. The company ( Zeltiq)does to a certain degree control what we can charge to perform this procedure. The difference in cost will be determine by the number of factors including how many areas are treated and how many times they treat the same area. Depending on one's BMI, and how thick their fat layer is, they may need  2 treatments to the same area to get the best results. Additionally you referred to this as a spa treatment, please don't be confused, It is non-invasive fat reduction procedure with the potential for real complications, Bruising, pain, swelling, numbness and if the device is not placed properly then tissue injury and even contour irregularities. To liken it to a spa treatment like a massage or wrap would not be appropriate. So anyone contemplating this you should consider it as carefully as you would other minimally invasive or invasive cosmetic procedures. Good luck

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cost

The machine is quite expensive for the practitioner to purchase.  There are also disposable costs with every treatment that the practitioner has to pay.  If it was any cheaper, the device would not pay itself off.  Not greed.  Just math.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Costs For NonInvasive Treatments

there is significant overhead costs to running non invasive treatments such as staff, location, device, supplies etc.  there is also a charge per use of the device to the company that makes the device (in most cases).  Therefore, these treatments are luxury treatments and elective and in my opinion considered supplemental to anything else you are doing but not obviously necessary.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is not a spa treatment.  It's a permanent medical treatment to destroy fat.  Whether or not it's worth $650 to $1700 depends on the cost of the device, practice, and the doctor in charge.  The good news is that it's optional, elective, and no one is forced to have it done.