I have a pendulous abdomen as a result of a 70lb weight loss and an umbilical hernia. Can both of these be done simultaneously?

Can the same plastic surgeon repair my hernia and perform my abdominoplasty during the same operation. My umbilical hernia is getting increasingly painful and my lower abdomen is pendulous after a 70lb weight loss. I do not want to have two separate surgeries.

Hernia repair and tummy tuck at the same time?

Providing that you are a candidate for surgery in general, then in most instances it is preferable to have both the hernia repair and the tummy tuck performed at the same time. The advantages of such a combination of procedures is that you will have only one recovery, one period of "down time" and there may be an economic advantage to combining the two procedures. A disadvantage of separate operations is that if you do one of the procedures first, then there will be scar tissue that the second surgeon will have to deal with at the next stage of your operation making this surgery more difficult. Plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon familiar with combined operations who can demonstrate plenty of experience treating your type of hernia/tummy shape..

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction

The hernia can be fixed at the same time.You sound like you are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction.  This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Hernia and tummy tuck

Yes, an umbilical hernia and a tummy tuck can be treated at the same time. Best to have your surgeon or a general surgeon treat the umbilical hernia.

Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

Thanks for your question and great job on the weight loss. A tummy tuck and hernia repair are routinely performed together. An umbilical hernia is a weakness that occurs from the separation in the midline of the two abdominal muscles.  Usually with a tummy tuck, I will perform liposuction to remove excess pockets of fat, bring the tummy muscles back together in the midline, which would repair the hernia, sculpt the waistline, and remove excess skin. Just discuss with your plastic surgeon what your concerns are. Your plastic surgeon can advise you whether both can be done at the same time.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.   Congratulations on your weight loss.  It is very common to repair an umbilical hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

After a 70lb weight loss can I have a tummy tuck and hernia repair at the same time?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on the impressive weight loss.  If the umbilical hernia is small the same plastic surgeon should be able to repair both issues during the same procedure.  If your surgeon is uncomfortable with the hernia repair they may enlist the assistance of a general surgeon.  Hope this helps.

70 lb weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss.    During removal of excess skin following weight loss, umbilical hernias may be encountered and we repair them.  However, the severity of the umbilical hernia must be evaluated before surgery.   For large umbilical hernias which may benefit from mesh repair, we occsionally involve our general surgery colleagues.    General surgeons and plastic surgeons frequently perform cases simultaneously.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or panniculectomy and hernia repair

Congratulations on your weight loss. It is very common for plastic surgeons to encounter abdominal hernia (ventral or umbilical) at the time of tummy tuck surgeries. Most board certified plastic surgeons are fully trained to repair the hernia at the same time. This should absolutely be done at the same time. If your plastic surgeon cannot do it, find another.