What is the firmest implant available in the U.S.? Sientra? Allergan? Mentor? Is the Inspira Natrelle available yet?

I am going for a perky, 'perfect', augmented look (not too big). I want a nice firm implant that offers a lot of fullness in the upper pole. I am going "over the muscle". Which implant is best for what I'm going for? Also, I just found out about "inspira", the most highly cohesive of the Alegran line. Is this available in the U.S.? I hope this is my last question before I make my decision. THANK YOU for all of your kind responses. This website is amazing.

Implant type

This is a good and popular question! There are two new implants available by Sientra and Allergan that have a higher fill ratio. These may be good options for you and it is best that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can assess you and give you the best options.

Firmest silicone gel breast implants: Allergan, Sientra, or Mentor?

1. The firmest highly cohesive gel ANATOMIC implants are the Style 410 manufactured by Allergan.
  2. The firmest highly cohesive gel ROUND implants are debatable but most likely Sientra Style 106 (moderate plus profile).
  3. Inspira implants (Allergan)  were approved by the FDA in February by are not yet widely used.
Remember that there is no perfect implant and no perfect surgical result.  We are simply seeking major improvement.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Who has the firmest implant?

While this is slightly debatable, I think most would agree that Allergan has the firmest gummy bear or form stable implant.  However, you should keep in mind than when people talk about form stable implants, they are usually referring to shaped or "tear drop" implants and based on what you describe, I would definitely suggest that you consider using a round implant instead as a round implant will give you much better superior fullness than a shaped tear drop (form stable implant).  In that case, Allergan or Sientra would likely be your best options.  I don't use Allergan implants so I can't speak to whether or not Inspira are available in the US yet or not but I have not heard of them so I doubt it.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant firmness

The softest implants are the old style gel, then come saline. Finally the "form-stable" or "gummy bear" gel implants have the most firmness.  Compared with Allergan and Mentor brands, Sientra offers the firmest implant.  Yet firmness is in the "hands of the beholder" since women who have Sientra augmentations have a very natural feeling result.

I never recommend over the muscle except for the rare woman who has a great deal of upper breast soft tissue coverage (i.e. has a lot of thickness of her own breasts).  But if you had that, you probably would not want to have a breast augmentation anyway, right?!  You will never regret placement beneath the muscle which camouflages the upper pole of the implant to produce a more nicely sloped and shaped breast appearance.

The new Allergan Natrelle Inspira smooth walled gel implants are now available in the USA.  As of July 2016, we are the only office in the Albany, Upstate NY, Capital District region to offer Sientra implants.  I encourage all local women interested in breast enhancement to call Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgery, PC for a consultation.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Implant Choice

In the United States the three major companies all offer the gummy implants which are the firmest on the market.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant choice

The gummy implants from Sientra, Mentor or Allergan are all similar and are the firmest implants on the market in the US.

Thank you for your question.  Most current silicone implants are created from a highly cross linked, cohesive gel, which lends "firmness" to the implant.  Though most are of similar texture and feel, Sientra implants have the most cohesive gel on the market.