Can I get a fat transfer at 123lbs?

I am 5'4'', 123lbs. I have a pretty lean body frame and am interested in a fat transfer to fill the sides of my glutes where there is no muscle. I know my fat levels are low but I would like to know if it has been successfully done on one of your patients. If not, how much weight should I gain in order to qualify?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- Alternative is VANQISH, Sculpsure, Coolsculpting

I find that VASER hi def is great for athletic slim people. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer in the lean

in short, you need to have the fat to transfer the fat.  I have been surprised by some patients who appeared lean but in surgery managed to donate abundant fat but that is the exception and not the rule. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat transfer

Hello and thank you for your question. It is possible to perform fat transfer in low BMI patients, but it depends on your individual anatomy.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

BBL to side of glutes

You would have to be seen in person to determine if you have enough fat for transfer. Best of luck..

Never a good idea... gain weight in order to get some fat to graft to another area.  Fat cells get smaller and larger depending on their need to store fat.  If you gained weight in order to have fat and then went through the surgery to have it placed somewhere else, once you get back down to your goal weight, your fat in the grafted area will get smaller and leave you with a less than desirable result.  That being said, sometimes there are some places we can find fat and it might take just a little bit to get you what you want.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and does a lot of fat grafting.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Fat transfer to buttocks

Your body morphology sounds like you are quite thin.  Fat transfer requires taking fat from a location on your body where there is excess and transferring that fat to your desired location.  When there is very little excess fat it is difficult to harvest fat without leaving irregularities from the harvest site and an area such as the buttocks or hips requires a decent amount of fat for augmentation.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon