Downtime after Rhinoplasty with regards to exercise?

I don't sit in bed very well... How long until I can go to the gym/run after this procedure. I'm not concerned about looking scary for a little while but I don't want to miss the gym at least for too long after if possible. I also won't be able to take too much time off of work this summer. Will I be able to work from home or will it be too painful for that right after? Thanks!

Exercising Post Rhinoplasty

At a minimum, you should wait at least 3-4 weeks, but always consult with your surgeon. While you are healing, an elevated heart rate will increase blood flow and can possibly lead to excess swelling, bruising, and even bleeding, Limit yourself to light walking for the time being.

#plasticsurgery#drrodrohrich#rhinoplasty

Recovery

You should plan for no excercise for about 3 weeks after surgery.  The first week will be the hardest due to having splints both inside and outside the nose.  After the first week you will feel much better, but you will need to rest  and allow swelling to resolve.  Typically 3-4 weeks after this surgery you are released to full activity.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Exercise following rhinoplasty

Most if not all of my patients whom I perform rhinoplasty on are interested in getting back to exercise as soon as they can.  I am completely empathetic to this as I love to exercise as well.  I encourage ambulation immediately after surgery as getting out of bed and out of the house is great for the spirits and will make the first week following rhinoplasty a more pleasant experience.  I try to explain that your body needs time to heal and even though many patients feel great immediately following surgery, exercising too soon can lead to prolonged edema of the nose.  I am not as concerned with injuring the nose as most people are pretty cautious with the exercise they choose.  I favor increased exercise at around the three week mark and allow patients to progress slowly.  Potential contact activity and water sports are discouraged for several more weeks.  You don't want to negotiate against yourself.  You have spent a great deal of time, energy, emotion, and likely money to get the nose you have always wanted.  Waiting a few weeks will pay great dividends in healing.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

hpesoj, every surgoen that does rhinoplasty will have their own answer to this question so I would advise you to get that answer from your surgoen. To increase your odds of having a good outcome see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and has a lot of good post op photos of their own. Search the INternnet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

Hi, thanks for your question. I usually ask my patients to avoid the gym for 3-4 weeks following rhinoplasty surgery. After this point I recommend that patients begin their return to normal exercise activities gradually. I do not recommend playing any contact sports or engaging in high risk activities for nasal trauma before 6-8 weeks after surgery (depending on what was done). All the best with your recovery. 

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and exercise

I prefer that patients wait about 6 weeks before going back to vigorous exercise after a rhinoplasty. Light aerobics may be possible at about 4 weeks. Best to ask your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty and Exercise

I allow patients to begin light activities at about 10 days.  Heavy exercise may lead to bleeding which could be catastrophic if the nose needed to be packed etc.  I allow moderate activities at a month and normal activities at 6 weeks.  Although exercise is important, precipitating a problem which could compromise your local term result would be devastating.

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime after rhinoplasty

I typically recommend that patients avoid
 exercise for two weeks. Walking is essential though during that time. 

After that patients can start activities like light jogging or elliptical work but can expect a temporary increase and swelling.Weight lifting can begin at 4 weeks at about 25% weight or effort. You can increase by 25% each week which brings you back to 100% at two months post-op.  Exercises like CrossFit and Olympic moves can start at around 6 weeks after surgery.

Pain is usually manageable. Many patients can go back to work after the splints come out at 1 week. 

Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Downtime after rhinoplasty

I recommend that my patients avoid exercise for two weeks after rhinoplasty surgery. I caution them that when they do resume exercise, they will experience temporary swelling. Most patients can return to work after one week. Pain is typically not an issue