Will diarrhea get worse after a tummy tuck? Since my VSG I get diarrhea if I eat more than about a cup of food already.

I want to get the best look by having the muscles tightened but I can eat very little at a time already, that I worry I may not be able to eat enough long term. Do you think I should be concerned? Will this only be temporary or could I be risking a lifetime of malnutrition. My BMI is 24 now and I had the VSG over 5 years ago. Need some advice asap. Thanks!!

Thank you for sharing your question and I can appreciate your concern.  As a tummy tuck procedure does not impact the functioning of your GI tract a muscle repair and skin tightening should not impact your diarrhea.  I would definitely recommend seeing your bariatric surgeon to discuss your decision to research a tummy tuck in order to maximize your current health and nutritional status in anticipation.  Hope this helps.

#lowerbodylift #weightloss #plasticsurgery

Hi Clynn, thank you for your excellent question. Without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. Best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

See a gastroenterologist

You should not be getting diarrhea after a VSG, that needs to be investigated by a gastroenterologist.  The tummy tuck should not affect this.

Tummy tuck do not interfire with you digestive system

Tummy tuck do not interfire with your digestive system even tighting the abdominal muscle, witch almost every bariatric patient need. Your condition should be discuss with your bariatric surgeon and it may not change after a tummy tuck.

Ricardo Ventura, MD