How to deal with post partum belly? (Photo)

I have two kids and still appear 5 months pregnant (2 years later). I am interested in surgery to help with my weakened muscles. What type of surgery would be best for the area on my abdomen and probably love handles. What type of results do you think could come from each particular surgery and am I even a candidate?

You may be a candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.

Your protruding tummy may be the result of diastasis recti, a condition that commonly occurs when the abdominal muscles become separated during pregnancy. A tummy tuck can repair diastasis recti, as well as remove any excess abdominal skin and fatty tissue. It’s difficult to determine from your photos if you have any loose skin in your stomach region. Ideal tummy tuck candidates are women at a healthy, stable weight who have finished having children and are unhappy with the appearance of their midsection. Combining your tummy tuck with liposuction can slim down the love handles for a sleeker figure. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can help to determine which procedures are best for you.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to deal with post partum belly?

You are indeed an excellent candidate  for a lipoabdominoplasty with tightening  of you abdominal muscles. You appear to be in great  shape except for your tummy and therefore I expect you to have an excellent  result  after this type of surgery.

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How to deal with post partum belly?

Tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and back would likely produce the best result.  Seek out a plastic surgeon who has performed these procedures hundreds of times and has a great number of reviews and before and after pictures.

Beverly Hills, CA

How to deal with post partum belly?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  You to be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
 When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Yes, you are a great #candidate for a #TummyTuck and #Liposuction! It's been 2 years since your last child was born. If you plan to become pregnant in the future, you may want to hold off surgery since pregnancy can cause #stretching which may leave you dissatisfied with your procedure. In my opinion it is best for the candidate to be at a stable weight and have a #BMI less than 30. This decreases any chance of complications. I suggest you research board certified plastic surgeons in your area. Interview two or three, discuss your questions and concerns, allow them to evaluate you and discuss a plan of treatment. Ask to see before and after pictures as well as patient testimonies. I wish you all of the best on your journey! 

Abdominal contour

An abdominoplasty with simultaneous liposuction - or lipoabdominoplasty - usually provides postpartum patients with the best option to correct a protuberant abdomen with muscle spread (or rectus diastasis).  Patients do best when they have maximized and reached a stable weight loss.  I give my lipo- abdominoplasty patients strict lifting restrictions postop.  Planning for surgery and timing includes arranging for help with the baby! 

Joshua Lampert, MD,FACS

Tummy tuck!!

Pregnancy causes many changes in the body including extra body fat and stretching of the skin and abdominal wall. Breast feeding causes these changes as well in the breasts. You need to wait at least 6 months after your body recovered from pregnancy so that your body gets closer to its pre pregnancy state. You will get a better and longer lasting overall result.

Tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift can give great results in mom's to help restore their bodies. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Tummy tuck surgery is one of our favorite operations because of the dramatic improvements abdominoplasty patients achieve.

There are various types of abdominoplasty procedures for patients to choose from. Each one is designed to treat a specific set of needs. In consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, the choice of procedure will be made based on your anatomic features and desired outcome. While all tummy tucks have in common that they tighten the abdominal skin, there are two key differences between the various procedures. The incision lengths vary depending on the amount of skin to be excised, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if they have excess laxity.

For you Mini Tummy Tuck would be a good option. This uses a relatively short incision in the same area of your C-section. Since you don't need much skin resection, you could avoid the incision around the belly button. Most importantly, this would give access to the abdominal wall so that a good muscle repair (placation) can be performed.

In addition to removing loose skin, localized fat deposits can also be removed during your tummy tuck. It is recommended, however, that you be as close as possible to your goal weight before having the procedure. If your concerns extend beyond the tummy, we can safely combine liposuction with tummy tucks for more dramatic results.

We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me me know if you have any other questions regarding the procedure. Thank you and best of luck. Dr. Campbell

Lipoabdominoplasty

A tummy tuck with liposuction is your best bet.  You will get a flat stomach with a contoured hourglass shape and a new bellybutton.  The drawback is a scar on your lower abdominal wall at the level of your bikini line.  

Tummy tuck and lipo

If you are finished having babies, you are ready for full abdominoplasty and muscle repair, at which time we would do lipo of the flanks. See our link below

Ronald J. Johnson, MD, FACS
Germantown Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Tummytuck?

Physical exam would be helpful, but you may be a candidate for just liposuction, as it does not appear that you have much excess skin. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD