What does "a candidate for membership to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons" mean?

I am getting ready to schedule consultations for a BBL in the Raleigh area and was researching doctors when I came across a doctor who stated on his website that he was a candidate for membership to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I was wondering what that meant as far as credentials. I think I have my top 3 narrowed down.. Dr. C, Dr. P, and Dr, M in the Raleigh/Durham area, but we will see how the consultations go (and my 3 top docs are not the ones who had that one their websites)

#Plasticsurgery #plasticsurgerycredentials

Hi Thinmint, Thanks for your question.  It's great you're doing your research on plastic surgeon credentials.  In general what to look for are the following:  
*Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle
*Holds faculty positions at a plastic surgery teaching institutions
If the surgeon you're meeting with is a "candidate for membership" of the ASPS that simply means that they're on their way to becoming a member of the ASPS.  It's also important for you to feel at ease with your surgeon. Ask to view many before and after photos of the BBL procedure and ask how many they perform each month.  Best to you on your aesthetic journey.  -Dr. Coan

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Check for board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  This is the most important factor.

Candidate for membership

Thank you for your question.  Candidacy means the doctor has completed the requirements to be considered a member, but is not yet a member.  More importantly, you should look at whether or not he or she is board certified.  This implies greater scrutiny.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

It means that the specific doctor has not yet become a member, but likely will very soon. Great job on doing your homework!

Thank you for your question!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS