Bruising at inframammary incision one right breast. Is this normal or does it have to be drained due to a hematoma?

I am 4 days post op. I just looked at my incisions and noticed that I have bruising under my right breast. Is this normal or a hematoma? I am very concerned because it is a saturday. I texted my doctor and he said it is probably nothing if there is no swelling or rapid change. Should I be concerned? I definitely have full trust in my doctor but I am overly paranoid. I went with the subfascial position so I want to make sure I avoid any risks of capsular contracture.

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on breast augmentation surgery.  Many times bruising and swelling is asymmetrical. Continue close follow up with your surgeon. Best Wishes

Thank you for your question and photographs.  This appears to be bruising as a result of your surgery, and not a hematoma which would normally cause you to have significant, potentially progressive, swelling, and increasing pain.  I would definitely stay in touch with your physician to alert them of any significant changes, but this discoloration should improve over the next several days.  

Bruising

It appears you have a nice result and from the photos it does not appear to have extra swelling in that breast. Bruising is not uncommon after surgery as long as the breast with the bruising is not larger than the other breast then you have to worry about hematoma.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

It looks like you have a very nice result with some bruising (which does happen from time to time). Follow up with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Bruising after breast augmentation

A little bruising is not uncommon after surgery, but that's quite a bit more then usual to me on a breast augmentation. It's definitely something you need to be seen for early this week, as your surgeon may choose to drain that fluid and blood. I've developed a lower threshold for doing that (washing that out) as I think it reduces risk of hardening

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Haematoma

Hi I agree this looks like bruised skin only but needs observation to be sure you do not have any problems with your wound healing.  Ask your PS for his/her opinion

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Bruising

Thank you for your question. This looks like bruising and not a hematoma. However, this is something that needs to be seen by your surgeon to know for sure. Speak with your doctor about your concerns. Good luck. 

Bruising at infra mammary fold

By looking at the photos, you appear to have normal bruising after surgery.  It is very common for one breast to bruise more than the other. As long as there are no changes in the size of your right breast, it should resolve.  Best of luck during your recovery.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It looks like normal bruising that can occur. Why in one breast and not the other, difficult to say.  If you had a lot of pain in that breast and it was significantly larger, then there would be more concern.  It is important to follow with your surgeon.  

Relax

Bruising can be minimally visible or obvious. By itself, improvement takes 10 days or more.Your photos look like an excellent early result. Follow restrictions and instructions carefully.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon