Broke my nose twelve days ago. Can it be rebroken or do I need surgery? (photos)

Hello. I managed to break my nose about 12 days ago and although set it still looks crooked. It seems to have a bend in the middle towards the right. Is there anything I can do it? have a doctor re break it? or do I need to look for a surgeon? Thank you for your help.

Straighten a broken nose

If the nose appears broken after breaking it, the nose needs to be reset within two weeks of the trauma. During this time, if the septum is significantly deviated it may need to be repaired at the same time to ensure the best results. If you are outside the two-week window, I would wait to allow the nose to heal for six months and then undergo a rhinoplasty procedure.
I hope this helps

Nasal Fracture Treatment

Dear iatridis1021,

When patients call our office with a possible nasal fracture, we encourage them to come in as soon as possible to be evaluated because if it can be reset it must be done within 2 weeks. If you are outside of the 2 week window, then typically you must wait 6 months to a year for everything to heal before you can be operated on. I hope this helps!

Treating Nose Broken 12 Days Ago

See a rhinoplasty surgeon ASAP for an evaluation. If re-breaking the nose will correct the problem this is best done within about 2 weeks. There is no rush if more involved surgery will be necessary.

Nasal fracture repair

Trauma to the nose and cause a displaced nasal fracture, or a non-displaced nasal fracture. A displaced nasal fracture can be reset by performing osteotomies in the nasal bones at any time after the fracture. It  is best to reset it sooner, rather than later. The dorsal hump can also be shaved down as well. Look for a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for the crooked nose ,and has lots of before and after photos in their rhinoplasty photo Gallery

Nasal trauma

You are still very soon after you broke your nose and sorry this happened! There is often a window of opportunity to help set the bones before the healing process begins so you may consider seeing a board certified plastic surgeon soon to see if the bones are still mobile. If not, most would say waiting 6 months or even a year before doing a formal rhinoplasty. Head of bed elevation can help with swelling. Best of luck, MMT

Fracture reduction

It is getting late to try to perform a close reduction. You need to see a surgeon ASAP. I tell my patients that this is a two stage procedure. At first, I just try to centralize the bones and septum. Then in 6 months or so, I can refine the nose by taking down any residual bump.

Rhinoplasty

At this point you should wait for the bone to heal, about 4-6 weeks, and then do a formal rhinoplasty to correct the deviation and the dorsal hump.  

Fixing an old nasal fracture

Your nasal bones are persistently deviated to the left. This can be improved after 3-6 months of healing by rebreaking the nasal bones and possibly doing a septoplasty, along with other maneuvers. If you don't treat the portion upon which the nasal bones sit, the septum, patients might have persistent nasal crookedness. See a board certified plastic surgeon for more information.

Broken nose 12 days ago

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear about your accident. There's about a two week window following a nasal fracture when the fracture can be easily reduced. At this point, you're realistically looking at needing to rebreak it. You may need your septum straightened too; it's tough to tell from the pictures alone. You'll need to talk to a facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fractures

Thanks for your question. In general, there is a short window after a nasal fracture occurs to reset it. This is typically 10 days. The longer you wait, the more likely the fracture has healed and the only way to correct it is with breaking the bone and repositioning it. While your injury may have healed, it would be a good idea to see a facial plastic surgeon as soon as possible to see what your options are. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon