Breast reduction scar worse on African Americans? Nipple loss common? When would I be blue to put nipple rings back in? (photo)

I am a 22 year old African American woman & I am researching about Breast reduction. I've hated my breast for as long as I can remember. They sag, & my areola's are quite big. I want to know if the scarring is horrible & when would I be able to place my nipple rings back in. I am a 34D/DD

Breast reduction technique

I treat many patients of different ethnicities(I'm in NYC).  Most of my patients heal quite well but there are some for whatever genetic reason have darker or firmer scars than others. Best of luck.

Breast reduction scar worse on African Americans? Nipple loss common?

Not necessarily. The Horndeski Method (TM) breast lift/reduction is a technique that offers less scarring by eliminating the vertical component entirely. You are welcome to visit my before and after gallery on this site to see for yourself.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Well the scars on patient's surgery sites will vary from person to person regardless of race.  While, in general black people tend to have a higher risk for keloid or thick scars, these can be seen across all skin types and colors.  If you have had any prior surgeries, piercings, tattoos etc without bad scars, then this gives you some indication that you may heal well.  Also if your mother or siblings had surgery with good scarring, this can be a good indicator.
As for the piercings, they can be reinserted after you have healed from the surgery.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Scarring not predictable

Scars are certainly a concern of everyone.  Your ability to make a scar is as personal to you as you fingerprint.  There are several things that you can do proactively to make a better scar such as taping and the use of silicone gel sheeting.  The bottom line is that scarring is not predictable. 

Breast reduction African-American patients

Thank you for your picture. Breast reduction can be done quite successfully African-American patients. African American patients do have a slightly higher tendency to suffer from keloid formation of the scar.  This can be minimize by proper recognition and treatment. Pertaining to your body art you should leave your nipple rings out until your surgeon otherwise directs.