Asymmetrical breast implants...what are my options?

I am a month out and it's becoming obvious that my left breast a sits lower than my right. I realize I had some asymmetry pre op, but I wasn't expecting it to be obvious post op. What are my options? Or am I stuck with this result? I love the right but I wish they matched. I will post a pre op photo. Any answers will help.

Asymmetrical postop

Hello, if there was asymmetry before surgery, it might not be completely correctable with surgery.  However, it would be reasonable to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Generally I would recommend that my patients wait a minimum of 3-4 months after surgery before assessing the outcome because they could continue to settle.

Thank you for your question and photos.  At only one month post-op, you have to give yourself more time (about three months) to heal and for any swelling to subside.  At that point you might want to consider a revision, such as a lift of one breast, but the asymmetry does not appear to be terribly noticeable so you should not worry too much.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Assuming the left fold is slightly higher than the right, this is the same asymmetry you had pre-op, and I would not try to change it. It will be less noticeable when the tissues stretch and you get your final result.

Greg Sexton, M.D.
Columbia, S.C.

Asymmetrical breast implants...what are my options? (Photo)

If your surgery was just a mont ago you are still swollen, and you have to weight to see final results.

The recovery process is not symmetric, so one breast may be less swollen than the other and one of the implants may make its natural folding first than the other.

Have patience and keep a good communication with your plastic surgeon.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The asymmetry that you are referring to is visible in the photographs. As you have heard it is too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. In other words, there is still a lot of time for the breasts to change; therefore, excessive concern/worry at this point may very well end up being wasted energy.
I would suggest continued patience and close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long term. Remember that some degree of breast asymmetry  is normal both naturally and after breast surgery. 

Too early for final results at 1 month post op BA

Thank you for sharing and congrats on your new look!

At 1 month, it is early to pass a judgement. Your implants will need more time to settle into their natural position and it is very common that one side settles faster than the other. So patience is required at this point.

Please remain positive and keep communicating with your surgeon while following his/her instructions closely.

Best of luck to you!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Don't worry.

Thank you for your email. You demonstrate a slight asymmetry but it is still fairly early. I would first and foremost make sure you communicate your concern with your plastic surgeon. Most women are indeed slightly asymmetric and what might be happening is that you are noticing your asymmetry after your augmentation to a greater degree than before. This is normal and expected. 

One of the most important visual and aesthetic endpoints in a breast augmentation is to have upper pole symmetry both in and out of a bra, since this is not only what you will see in the mirror, but also what the rest of the world will be seeing in clothing, no matter how revealing. 

There are ways to gently mold your breast position this early with fillers, bra modifications, bandeaus, etc. but all of this can be monitored and suggested by your plastic surgeon.

Best of luck to you and I am hopeful that this will work out to your satisfaction. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon