6 units Botox in lips. Hit myself (not hard) in mount 2 hours after injection. Are my results jeopardized?

I had 6 units of Botox put into my lips (2 on each side and 2 up top) to enhance their appearance. A little more than two hours after injection, I accidently bumped my hairbrush on my mouth. Nothing too hard, but I am paranoid the result may be jeopardized. What are the chances of this? Do you think they will turn out fine? I know I have to wait 7-14 days for results.

Bumping Your Lip After Lip Augmentation

Thanks for your question. Don't worry. The Botox is already absorbed into the muscle of the lip. You will be fine.

Bumping lip after Botox treatment

You do not need to worry if you bumped your lip two hours after being treated with Botox. At that point, the Botox has already been localized in its target location in the muscle. Your results will not be affected by this at all. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma after Botox

Hello, and thanks for your question. Unless you had significant swelling, your results should not be affected. Only time will tell. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello WaffleGlad,I would not worry about a small bump to the treated area 2 hours after treatment.  By then the product really should be at its location in the muscle.  As you know, time will tell, but I would not be concerned.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox results

I wouldn't worry. At that point after the injection, the Botox would have been absorbed and "fixed" in place. Expect too see your results at 7-14 days after the injection. I presume you had Botox injection around the lips to treat vertical lip lines or to evert the lip.

Accidentally hit face after Botox

A minor impact around the area of Botox injection shouldn't affect your results. I wouldn't worry about it.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

6 units of Botox in the lips. Are my results jeopardized?

Thank you for sharing your question.  After a couple of hours much of the Botox injected has already been absorbed by the surrounding tissues and the accidental bumping by the hairbrush should not have any impact on your long-term results.  Hope this helps.

Botox around the lips

You shouldn't have any adverse effects from the bump to the areas where you were injected. You might have some bruising from bumping yourself but it won't effect the results of the botox. Hope this helped answer your question.

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Lip injections...

Thank you for your question.  I am not sure exactly what you had done, as Botox does not get injected into lips.  Do you mean that you had botox placed in the cutaneous lip (the piece of skin between the red part of your lip and your nose - the area where men grow mustaches?)  If so, nothing is likely to happen from the hairbrush bump.  If you mean you actually had Botox placed into the red part of the lip, I would contact your board certified Dermatologist for evaluation.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Trauma after Botox

Thank you for your question WaffleGlad. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with muscle expression. When injected around the lips, it provides a slight pout. Bruising and swelling can happen from injections or trauma and will not likely affect the results of the treatment. We treat bruising with a laser as early as the day after a treatment. Swelling can be reduced by applying cold compresses. You are correct, most people see the full results of their treatment at two weeks. I have my patients follow up two weeks after their treatment to assess their results. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician