I'm 42 w/ 1 Kid and stress incontinence. Does any insurance cover these services?

Does any insurance cover these services, if so how is it coded to not be considered cosmetic? How long before relapse occur for 3 treatments? all reviews seems to be helpful. I would like to try but I am unsure if I will. I will continue to do research. Any specific recommendations or any side effts

ThermiVa and Insurance Coverage: Not yet, but costs the same as surgical copay and can pay over time.

Thank you for this important question.  At this time ThermiVa is not covered by insurance.  Hopefully in the future this will change.  Fortunately many offices (mine included) offer third party financing such with reasonable rates – even interest free – to pay over time.  Additionally, there have been several patients who previously had surgical procedures for urinary incontinence who told me that the copay for their surgery was approximately the same as the cost of ThermiVa, and wished it had been around for them when they had their surgery performed instead.

ThermiV for Incontinence

Thermiva is the ideal, safest treatment for stress incontinence. The treatment uses heat energy that is carefully delivered to the vaginal tissue to induce blood flow as well as stimulate collagen; which both assist in minimizing those embarrassing accidents. Since this is not considered a medically necessary treatment, insurance does not cover ThermiVa. And we recommend for patients to return for maintenance treatments about 8-12 months after a series has been completed.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician

ThermiVa is not covered by insurance unfortunately.  Many women have enjoyed the improvement in stress incontinence from this procedure, as well as many other benefits.  There is no down time. It is quick and pain free.  Meet with a plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Camille Cash, MD

Worth the investment to stop leaking.

At this time we know of no insurance companies that cover this procedure.  For those who have invested in this treatment, they have been please with the results.

Check out this quick video to learn even more things ThermiVa can do to improve vaginal function and form and improve your confidence.  Reserve a consultation to get answers to these and other questions.

Hope to see you soon...

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa for Stress Incontinence

Thank you for your question. Although ThermiVa is a medical procedure that helps with stress incontinence, it is not covered by insurance. It's a new procedure so this could change in time (that would be amazing!). It is a great option for you and others wanting to treat child birth-related stress incontinence. It could help with dryness and laxity amongst other issues as well. There is no down time, it is safe and it's pain-free. Most patients get to enjoy the benefits of ThermiVa after the first treatment. We haven't had patient relapses at our office, but we offer all of our treated patients a maintenance treatment once a year. Many offices offer that. Good luck!

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

THERMIva and insurance

At the present time, THERMIva is not covered by insurance for the treatment of urinary incontinence or any other indications unfortunately. Because it is a medical procedure performed in a medical office, some of our patients have had luck applying their costs to flexible spending accounts they contribute to, which can be very helpful. Our patients have been thrilled with the results they see from THERMIva even after the first treatment. It may sound crazy, but I've seen THERMIva procedures truly changing the quality of women's day to day lives. 
Best of luck 

Grant Stevens, MD

ThermiVa and Insurance

There are a variety of treatments that could help with your stress incontinence, and for this reason it is best to visit with you doctor about what may be the best option for you. Specifically, ThermiVa has been shown to help urinary incontinence (along with many other issues), and while it may be a great choice for some people, it may not be the perfect option for everyone.  ThermiVa is not currently covered by insurance, however many practices will offer payment and financing options available. 

Not at this time

At this time insurance does not cover ThermiVa treatments, however we offer many different financing options for the treatments needed.  ThermiVa is a wonderful treatment that could be life changing.  Patients usually notice changes immediately following their first treatment.  

Does insurance cover ThermiVa treatments?

At the present time, insurance does NOT cover ThermiVa or any other energy-based treatments for urinary incontinence.  My suspicion is that this will, unfortunately, not change any time soon.  

But the good news is that most physicians offering this service do provide 3rd party financing and the fees are very reasonable for the outcomes achieved.  

I hope that helps.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Sling procedures may be covered by health insurance. Energy based treatments are not. Mona Lisa Touch and Femi Lift by Alma are both fractional CO2 laser devices. They are equally effective and produce excellent results. We have Femi Lift in our practice.

ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have not seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI. Lastly many have posted that ThermiVa is a "newer" technology. That is just patently untrue. Fractional CO2 laser technology was first used clinically in the early 2000's. Radio frequency has been in use since the 1980's and the external application (like ThermiVa) was how RF was first used. People, do your homework and do not trust those who are untruthful!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon