3 weeks out from 2nd breast augmentation, right breast looks tuberous & feels like implant is poking through the muscle? (Photo)

I am 3 weeks out from my second breast augmentation. I went from 260 cc unders to 550cc unders. My right breast is looking more tuberous every day. It also feels as though the implant is right behind my areola, protruding through muscle and breast tissue, creating a little bubble. It hurts, but I have been doing firm massage on it which could be contributing to the pain. There is also a slight indentation above and below my nipple. Do I need more surgery or can I correct this with massage?

3 weeks out from 2nd breast augmentation, right breast looks tuberous & feels like implant is poking through the muscle?

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  As you had already had one breast augmentation your healing should be much faster on this second procedure and should leave you with a more a natural appearing breast shape over the next several weeks.  Hope this helps.

Problem 3 weeks postop

Hello, often irregularities and discomfort will resolve after 6+ weeks postoperatively.  If your symptoms persist your surgeon will be able to discuss further treatment options.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Implants at 3 weeks

It is difficult to tell from that one angle but the implant may be too large for your frame.  Best to give it time to settle as well.  Re-evalaute in 4-6 months.

Questions after breast augmentation

It is hard to give you objective advice without examining you and seeing before pictures as well.  There are several changes that occur after breast augmentation and there is often swelling that will take time to resolve.  It would be best to contact your surgeon and be seen to properly assess the situation.  Good luck

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Doubling the size of your breast implants

Thanks for your photo and the pictures. Larger implants have pro's and cons.Everything you are saying is likely true, but also likely quite normal at just 3 weeks post. This new implants are more than double the size of your old ones and it will take many more months before the tissues stretch and settle around this new implant. Some things that concern you could still be visible in the future, but it is too early to say. Share your concerns with your PS so you can watch how the changes progress together.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

At 3 weeks post-op you are very early in the recovery period

At this point right now, it is very early in your recovery.  Things will change drastically over the next few months or so.  Tissues will relax, swelling will resolve, and the implants will "settle" into a more permanent position and shape.  It will be impossible for us to advise you any further on your case as we have very limited information about it, and we have no opportunity to evaluate you in person.  One question that needs to be addressed with your surgeon though, is what happened to the previous capsule?  You mentioned that you went from "260 cc 'unders' to 550 cc 'unders'," and this is a pretty substantial increase - actually double the size.  If your old capsule was not large enough or compliant enough to accept this larger size of implant, and if it was not removed, either entirely or in large enough part so as to not distort your new implants, it could be having some effect on the appearance of the breasts.  Thus, a good question to ask is how your existing capsule was managed.  With regard to massage, I would follow the advice of your surgeon on this, too.  Some types of implants and situations benefit from massage, while others do not.  Your surgeon will have very specific advice on how to handle the implant massage issue.  The main thing to do at this point is to communicate openly with your surgeon, follow his or her advice and recommendations, and be patient and allow your tissues to heal completely before becoming concerned about how the final result looks. Best of luck.