I have hollowness on the outsides of my under eyes (not in my tear trough area). What is the best filler to use?

I have a little hollowness under my eyes (only on the outsides of my eyes...not in my tear trough area) what is the best filler to use and how much is needed?!! How many injections are needed?? I was also told it could be put in my eyebrow to lift my right eyelid (that is sagging from surgery).

Doctor Answers 11

Injectable filler at the outside part of the under eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Soft tissue fillers can be used successfully in this area to help smooth the transition between the area around the eye and the cheek.  This area it is relatively unforgiving & the injections therefore should be administered by someone with a great deal of experience injecting in this anatomic region.  Similar to lip injections, when soft tissue fillers are administered correctly in this area they produce a beautiful result but when not injected well unnatural contours are easily produced.  I would avoid using Juvederm in this area due to the amount of swelling that it sometimes causes.  In my experience Restylane or Belotero can both work well.  Good Luck!

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Fillers around the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fillers around the eyes is a wonderful way to rejuvenate the eyes and reduce the tired look.  I would suggest using a thinner product like Belotero, Restylane, or Juvéderm ultra.   This allows for a very soft and moldable product that is being placed in an area where there is very thin tissue.  The email that you need really depends on the amount of volume loss that you have. I typically use a half to a full syringe on each side. You can also place similar products underneath the prowess. You could potentially go with a thicker product like Perlane or Juvéderm ultra or even Radiesse.  
I would say that putting fillers under the eyes or around the eyes is an advanced technique. I would definitely check the credentials of who your Injector is. Going to an injector who has a lot of experience would be advisable.

Fillers Around the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I prefer to use Restylane, a hyaluronic filler under and around the eyes because it is easy to work with, forgiving, long lasting (up to a year), and reversible.  For those patients who have had bumps under their eyes with previous fillers, I use Belotero which is even thinner.
Good Luck.

Gilbert Lee, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

You might also like...

Restylane for under eye injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi LAS.  Regardless of whether it is the tear trough or toward the outer part of the lower eye, our filler of choice remains the same, Restylane.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Filler Around the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I typically use thinner and less water absorbing fillers around the eyes.  I suggest a hyaluronic acid filler that can be reversed, because if you are not happy with the results you can reverse it with an enzyme.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Eyebrow lift with filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I like doing eyebrow lift either with Juvederm or Voluma off-label.  It works great, and beats surgery as far as risks.  It also seems to last quite long.  It is important that you choose an experienced injector for this off label treatment.

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers around eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I prefer to use the thinner products like restylane to avoid getting lumps with the thicker products.  Best to be seen in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Fillers for Around the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dermal filler injections can be great options to improve the hallowness around the eyes.  It is sometime referred to as a liquid eyelift.  It can be used for the tear trough and the depression on the outside area of the lower eyelid.  The skin of the area is thin so you need to choose and experience injector as there is little room for error.  It will also be important to use a filler that is on the thin side.  For these reasons I prefer the following fillers around the eyes:

1) Restylane
2) Bolotero

I believe Restylane last longer than Bolotero so I typically use Restylane.  

I hope this helps.  

Lateral hollowing of lower eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would use the same fillers in the outer area as you do for the tear trough.  Best choices are belotero, restylane, or fat.  Discuss with your surgeon.  You can use some in the brow as well to fill in this area, and this will often lift the brow a little.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

I have hollowness on the outsides of my under eyes (not in my tear trough area). What is the best filler to use?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a difficult question to address without photos.  After a thorough evaluation and examination, you may be a candidate for fillers around the eyes.  Depending on the exact areas of concerns, different types of fillers can be used.  This is a very sensitive area and a type of hyaluronic acid filler is most likely best (e.g. Restylane, Belotero).  Fillers can also be placed within the brow to create a subtle elevation to this area.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.