I am 62 and have painful sex. I have had a hysterectomy . Told possible scar tissue. Will Thermiva be helpful for me?

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question.  ThermiVa is a minimally-invasive option that can restore and rejuvenate the vaginal tissues. During treatment, radio frequency is sent to your external and internal vaginal tissues, causing them to tighten. Other benefits include increased lubrication and a decrease in incontinence. To determine what treatment is best for you, I recommend getting a in person consultation from a board-certified dermatologist.  

ThermiVa

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

ThermiVA for Painful Sex?

Thank you for your question. I highly recommend you to see your OB before initiating a vaginal treatment of any sort. ThermiVa uses safe gentle radio frequency heat to stimulate collagen production and lubrication amongst other factors. This process rejuvenates your vaginal tissues which could help minimize the pain you have been experiencing. Please look up and consult with a Thermi expert in your area.

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

ThermiVA for Painful Sex?

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

Causes of dyspareunia

Painful sex is a common complaint for a variety of reasons. ThermiVa treatments start a biological process of renewal of the tissues which is responsible for the improvement in the health of the tissues giving them more compliance which removes many of the causes of dyspareunia (painful sex).  The best way to know in advance is to go for a consultation with your Physician who can understand your issues and examine you.                 

Causes of dyspareunia

Will Thermiva be helpful

To start, it would be recommended to have a full evaluation by your doctor.  Thermiva might be right for you, but it cannot be determined until you know exactly what is causing the pain. 
ThermiVa will treat:

1. Vaginal Looseness: treatments may tighten the vaginal canal if needed. For mild prolapse, this may be an option to a surgical procedure.
  2. Labia Looseness: treatments may tighten the labia majora if loose and saggy. This will give a more youthful appearance to the external vagina.
  3. Vaginal Dryness and pain: treatments may promote internal and external vaginal moisture. This is especially useful in postmenopausal patients who do not want to or cannot use estrogen replacement.
  4. Mild Incontinence:treatments may lessen urine leakage and the urge to go symptoms.
  5. Problems with Sexual Sensation: treatments may increase sensitivity, cause stronger vaginal contractions, and quicker orgasms.

Will Thermiva be helpful

ThermiVa will treat:

Will ThermiVa help

It is always recommended that you consult with Your Obgyn before having ThermiVa, ThermiVa helps with Vaginal Atrophy, using therapeutic temperatures to increase collagen production. 

Will ThermiVa help

Painful Sex and ThermiVA

You need a formal evaluation.  I find that the juliet procedure (laser) followed by thermiVA (RF) does great for cases like you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Painful Sex and ThermiVA

ThermiVa will not help painful sex following a hysterectomy

Hello Theda01,You need to return to your gynecologist for evaluation of your pain. Do not waste your money until you've been cleared by him/her. There are many reasons for experiencing painful sex after a hysterectomy. Once cleared and if you're found to have vaginal atrophy as the source of your pain, then local estrogen therapy would be much more economical. You'll need this long-term. There are other alternatives to estrogen such as Osphena, CO2 laser (FemiLift) and RF therapy (ThermiVa). Again, ask your gynecologist.

Painful sex after hysterectomy can mean many things. You need an examination

There are many reasons why you might develop pain after a hysterectomy. Without conducting an examination, it's not possible to determine if the scar tissue is the only factor. In any event, Thermiva, FemiLift, MonaLisa, etc are designed to stimulate collagen formation in the setting of vaginal atrophy. Hysterectomy at age 62 doesn't cause atrophy - you already had it by then.  Scar tissue represents an excess of collagen formation.

ThermiVa and Painful sex

ThermiVa can give great results for vaginal and vulvar atrophy which can cause painful sex. It would be important to start with a complete physical exam to see if you do have scar tissue or if its atrophy which is very common after menopause

Haydee Docasar, MD
Henderson OB/GYN

ThermiVa and Painful sex

Haydee Docasar, MD
Henderson OB/GYN

Good Morning and thank you for your question.  ThermiVa can help rejuvenate the vagina's ability to lubricate itself which may help with the increased friction that can be associated with painful intercourse.  Be sure to be examined by your gynecologist or your doctor to be sure there isn't a medical issue causing the problem before starting ThermiVa.  Best of Luck, Dr. K.