Drains versus Drainless: Which is best for diabetics?

I am a 46-year old well-controlled (adult onset) T1 diabetic with no complications. I am considering a full tummy tuck and am wondering if either of these methods (drains versus progressive suture technique??) would be better than the other for a diabetic patient, given that they may have slower healing/longer recovery time. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Drains versus Drainless Tummy Tuck For Diabetics

In many cases, plastic surgery can be done with some health conditions. It just depends on the medical condition at the time. In addition to a required one-on-one consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  Every patient is screened for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures. For instance,  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even after 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

MM for diabetics

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

MM for diabetics

Thank you for the question.  Neither one of the techniques is necessarily "better" for a diabetic patient. More important than the specific technique (drain or no drain) will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon, regardless of the technique he/she utilizes.  Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you'll be pleased with. Best wishes.

Drains vs Drainless

Thank you for your question. I would advise the use of a drain. Drains are placed to help limit seroma formation. Drains should not be viewed as a bad thing. Even on my tummy tucks where I use progressive tension sutures I still place a drain. Please don't choose your PS based on whether they use drains. Best of luck

Drains vs Drainless

The use of drains versus progressive suture technique is more of a surgeon dependent decision.  If you are well controlled, that is the most important component.  In addition, the individual doing your surgery is the other key component.  I have also found that finishing the procedure with the patient bent at the waste results in a flatter abdomen with the patients standing upright at 7 days.  This also pulls the abdominal skin tight eliminating the space where the seroma forms.