Recently Raised Mole on my Back?

Hi, I have a mole on my back that has always been flat, dark brown and about 3mm. Recently it became slighty raised which concerned me. I was preoccupied with it and without meaning to irritated it causing it to bleed and scab over. The scab has now come off and the mole has healed fine apart from it is now around 4mm in diameter, light brown and still slightly raised. So my questions to you are, is it normal for moles to become raised and is it normal for moles to change after trauma? Thanks

Doctor Answers 6

Changing mole on the back

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Whenever a mole is changing, to be safe you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using a "shave" biopsy technique. I typically do this for biopsying a mole on the back which leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Recently Changing Mole.... What to Do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my opinion your best option is to see a board-certified dermatologist to evaluate the lesion and see if it should come off. Frequently, we talk about the ABCDs of melanoma, which stands for Asymmetry, irregular or blurred or jagged Border, varied Color, and large Diameter. Add to that E for Evolving. A changing mole, whether getting bigger, darker, raised, or itching should be evaluated by your dermatologist. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

See a skin specialist for bleeding moles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is always advised when a mole changes in size, color, shape, or bleeds to follow up with a trained plastic surgeon, dermatologist, or ENT specialist if above the collar bones. A biopsy is often suggested as it is the surest way to know what you are dealing with and if other care is required.

You might also like...

Mole removal on the back

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An evolving mole can be a concern for patients.  I would suggest a quick consultation to determine whether the mole requires a biopsy or is simply benign looking. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Changing mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a mole that appears to be changing I highly recommend that you see your dermatologist for an evaluation and possible biopsy.  

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Changing mole on back

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend you see a dermatologist in this case. Any moles that have been there for a long time and recently started changing (color, size, etc.) should always be checked out.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.