1 week post op and I've started experiencing pain while urinating?

I had a V-wedge labiaplasty about 1 week ago. I had my postop exam yesterday and doc said everything looked great, it was healing really well. But last night I urinated and experienced a really intense and painful burning sensation. This pain was felt exclusively on the labia. Is that at all normal?

Pain on labia with urination following wedge labiaplasty

needs to be evaluated by your surgeon if it wasn't a one time occurrence.  It could be from a UTI but the incisions also need to be rechecked to ensure nothing is amiss.

Pain with urination is a common sign of a UTI

A UTI is common after vaginal surgery and burning with urination is the most common symptom. Get checked for a UTI.

Painful urination is never a normal occurrence and should be evaluated immediately. Your surgeon will likely do a urine test for you to monitor for infection and may place you on antibiotics. Burning when the urine touches the incision can occur but should not be new in onset. You are best served by following up with your physician again to ensure prompt treatment if an infection is present.

You should see your surgeon for an evaluation.  You may have a UTI that needs to be treated and nothing more but I would still recommend a proper evaluation.

Best of luck

Labial pain after urination

Thank you for your question. Although painful urination often may indicate a urinary tract infection, pain specifically on the labia is likely due to the urine hitting the incisions. It is always best to see your surgeon to confirm.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist

See your surgeon

This is not a normal occurrence. Make sure your surgeon knows about it and/or sees you.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your painful urination.  As this is a new issue in your recovery it would be best to see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Though a urinary tract infection is a possibility depending on whether you have other associated symptoms, it would also be important to ensure none of your incisions have separated, exposing sensitive tissues underneath to the urine stream.  Hope this helps.