I'm 30 years old. I was born with a medical condition called club foot (right foot).

I was born with a medical condition called club foot (right foot). And because of that the muscles on my right calf never fully developed so my right foot is extremely thin compared to the left. I'd like to know if you've ever operated on a patient with this condition? If it's operable or recommendable?

Implants in club foot.

Calf implants can help improve symmetry in people with asymmetric developmental issues or asymmetry because of injury (Achilles tendon rupture for example). Often with developmental issues, the overlying tissues are too tight for maximum desired change but pleasing improvement can still typically be achieved.

Calf implants - ok for a club foot?

Thank you for asking about your calf implants.
  • Yes, calf implants are done - and I have done them - for people born with club foot.
  • The condition is more common in men - but calf implants can be done in men and in women.
  • The implants - usually two for club foot - go over the muscle which is in the upper 2/3rds of the leg.
  • The lower leg will remain thin - implants cannot go the full length of the leg.
  • Fat transfers can be done with implants to give more bulk to the lower leg but usually need to be done several times and results are less predictable compared to the implants.
  • Not all plastic surgeons do calf implants - to find one in your area you can contact Implantech (they make the calf implants that I use) or go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, search for plastic surgeons in or near your zip code and call until you find one who does calf implants.
  • Whoever does your surgery, they must use soft solid silicone implants - not gel implants.
  • Best of luck and hope all goes well.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS