I'm 30 years old. I was born with a medical condition called club foot (right foot).
Doctor Answers 2
Implants in club foot.
Calf implants - ok for a club foot?
- Yes, calf implants are done - and I have done them - for people born with club foot.
- The condition is more common in men - but calf implants can be done in men and in women.
- The implants - usually two for club foot - go over the muscle which is in the upper 2/3rds of the leg.
- The lower leg will remain thin - implants cannot go the full length of the leg.
- Fat transfers can be done with implants to give more bulk to the lower leg but usually need to be done several times and results are less predictable compared to the implants.
- Not all plastic surgeons do calf implants - to find one in your area you can contact Implantech (they make the calf implants that I use) or go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, search for plastic surgeons in or near your zip code and call until you find one who does calf implants.
- Whoever does your surgery, they must use soft solid silicone implants - not gel implants.
- Best of luck and hope all goes well.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.