RADIX GRAFT OR FACE FILLER ??

Hey, I am 24 and have always hated my nose.. Untill recently it has really bothered me... Especially my side profile. I have a low Radix, which makes my eyebrow bone look more prominent.. Do you think a non surgical face filler will do anything or is a radix graft the best option I have? 

Many thanks

Nonsurgical Rhinoplasty

Non surgical rhinoplasty will only be able to create very limited improvement.It's important to understand some of the limitations of nonsurgical rhinoplasty when considering it.-It is temporary (the best fillers are hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Voluma which can be reversed) -Nonsurgical rhinoplasty can only add volume, not take it away (meaning it can not reduce the width of your nostrils)  While it can address some of your aesthetic concerns, a surgical rhinoplasty is the only way to address all of them in a permanent fashion.   Consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist, experienced in surgical and nonsurgical rhinoplasty, will allow you to best weigh your options.

Filler vs. surgery for noses

Adding filler to the radix may give you the desired correction you want. I have had good success with Radiesse and all of the hyaluronic fillers.  Depending on what is used, you will have different links of maintaining the correction. Surgery would be a more permanent fix. Also, surgically other maneuvers could be done to create better balance as related to your nose.  I would recommend that you see a surgeon that offers both options so they can give you an honest opinion. 

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radix augmentation

alicedumonde,      

Both of the options you mentioned are legitimate methods to augment the radix area, each with pros and cons.  Obviously, placing filler this region is relatively low risk and reversible.  The disadvantages include needing to repeat the procedure every 7-9 months or so, which can end up being less economical over time, as well as some variation with each injection.  Additionally, it does not address any potential issues over the dorsum that may be contributing to an unfavorable profile.  A rhinoplasty with radix graft would be a more permanent solution.  There would be the opportunity to address the dorsum at the same time.  Depending on the technique, grafts in the region can be palpable.  With fascia grafts (+/- diced cartilage) this is less common.  Obviously, pictures and consultation would be needed to go over specifics in your case.  Best of luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon