Alternative to Massage for Radiesse Lumps?

I had a Radiesse injection 3 weeks ago and developed a lump under my eye. The doctor gave me a small vibrator to massage the area with but I have not yet seen a big improvement. Does anyone have an alternative or suggestion?

Doctor Answers 2

Radiesse and massage for lumps

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I personally do not inject Radiesse under the eye area for this specific reason. I use Fat Transfer, Juvederm or Restylane in this area. Unlike the hyaluronic fillers Radiesse is a long lasting dermal filler which often takes months to years to dissipate. Sometimes it is best to leave things alone and let the process happen. The under eye tissue is sensitive and I would not suggest hard vibrations that may cause more swelling and aggravation to the area. For other patients reading this post you will see many questions regarding the same problem, make note to self Radiesse is best used as a deep filler not in the thin superficial dermal tissue of the lower lid. I have seen a number of patients in my practice who have been treated by other physicians with similar complaints. It pains me to explain that this complication may take a bit of time to resolve and no reliable method is proven to be effective to expedite the process.

Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Saline or dilute TAC may help

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is a durable injectable dermal filler. That can be good news if you love the result, but very bad news if the injection result is not satisfactory. Unlike HA fillers, the material cannot be dissolved. If inadvertantly injected into a sphincteric muscle like the obicularis oculi, the material can ball up and cause very persistent nodules. If massage does not help, pulverizing the material with a large needle as saline is injected might rehydrate it and whittle it down a bit. If it is a granuloma, TAC injections at low concentration may help. If your doctor doesn't know how to do this, please get a more experienced doctor to help in your management.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.