Getting Radiesse from a Plastic Surgeon or a Gynecologist?

My gynecologist offers this treatment, and I trust her. I also have great confidence in the plastic surgeon who did my liposuction. Which would be the safer and better person to do the Radiesse? Will the plastic surgeon try to convince me to have the much more expensive S-Lift? I cannot afford to disappear for a long time, as I have a high profile position.

Doctor Answers 8

Plastic Surgeon By A Wide Margin

Drs. Katz and Persky give their usual sage advice. Plastic surgeons ( and dermatologists) have years of training and experience working on the skin of the face and its underlying tissues. Members of our specialties have done thousands of operations on the face. We have a comfort zone performing procedures in this locale , that a gynecologist lacks. As Dr. Persky says, it is impossible to make this up in a weekend course ( Dr. Persky is actually being generous here, a four hour course is more likely). Would you want me to do an endometrial biopsy on you? Of course not, and I would not blame you. Same should hold true for allowing non-"core" physicians to work on your face.

May I add something that I find very troublesome with any physician practicing outside their area of expertise.

Call me old fashioned but I think that a gynecologist, or any physician, owes it to his or her patient to try to deliver the best medical care possible. Hopefully, your gynecologist enterred medicine to help heal the sick and relieve suffering. It is my opinion that some physicians degrade themselves and our wonderful profession by tending to the vanities of society rather than holding steady to the foundation of medicine.

These physicians, instead of learning procedures and techniques alien to them, would be doing their patients far more good if theydevoted their time to reading and learning in their own field. They should be striving to became better gynecologists, internists, neurologists, anesthesiologists etc. Maybe they might pick up a cancer earlier, or diagnose a rare syndrome, make an interesting discovery. Something to really help people. Heal the sick, alleviate pain.

For a number of years I served on the admissions committee of our local medical school. I felt that one of my most important duties was to capture the applicants who had a sincere desire to help the sick and weed out the phonies. I can guarantee that none of the applicants I interviewed, when asked why they wanted to become a doctor replied, " I'd like to be a gynecologist and then open up a medi-spa so I can make lots of money." I can also guarantee that none ( few, if any, since we physicians are trained not to say none or always) of the other admissions people for all our medical schools heard this sort of statement either. Now look what is happening in medicine. Call me old fashioned but the change in attitude bothers me very much.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Choose the aesthetic specialist for cosmetic procedures

When considering any cosmetic procedure, it's important to choose a provider that has been properly trained. For a facial filler or other facial cosmetic procedure, I would definitely recommend choosing a provider from one of the "Core 4" aesthetic specialties: dermatology, plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, and oculoplastic surgery. Dermatologists and plastic surgeons pioneered these procedures and continue to be the most qualified physicians to perform them. Your Ob/Gyn may be a great doctor, but I would highly recommend going with the plastic surgeon in this instance.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be better for Radiesse

The modern advances in medicine were acheived by having specialities. Your Gyn give you the Pap smear, your cardiologist checks your heart, your pediatrician takes care of your kids. I'm sure that following a weekend course, I can give Pap smears as well as other services. The question is, should I do this? The problem is not whether you can do a procedure or not , it is whether you can handle all the post procedure issues. Seems to me that your plastic surgeon will be better at this. All the best!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Radiesse is an unforgiving filler

Having longevity in a dermal filler is good and bad. Good, if the results are what you want; bad, if you have an issue. I would say that my patients are most satisfied with Radiesse when compared to the other fillers (a study done by Radiesse came out with similar results).

Having said that, if you are considering Radiesse, you need to have a very experienced injector. Unfortunately, there is no remover for Radiesse as there is for the HA fillers. You need surgery to remove Radiesse.

In conclusion, read Dr. Persky's notes, and make an educated decision.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews


Your plastic surgeon will not try to convince you to have any procedure. He/she will however let you know all of your alternatives, the potential risks and complications and expected results and how long they may last. He will also let you know if Radiesse will achieve your goals based on your expectations and your anatomy. The anatomy and nerve supply of the face is far more complex than the genital region , and certainly the results will have significant impact (positively or negatively) as any improvement or defects will be quite obvious to people you meet. Give yourself the best opportunity for achieving your results and go with an experienced plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist with a specialty in facial cosmetics. The ability to do a procedure is only a small part of the procedure, Your physician should also have the ability to address the rare complications that may result and I am sure your gynecologist could not.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Radiesse Injections from Gynecologist or Plastic Surgeon?

Hi Star,

Let's look at it logically from the other side, do you want your Pap Smear done by your gynecologist or by your plastic surgeon? Just because there are a large number of women patients coming in the door, does not mean that gynecologists should be injecting faces.

On the other hand, if you wish to have Radiesse injections and someone is "talking you into" something that you do not want, then go get another opinion.

If it's my face, I am going to hand pick a cosmetic speciality trained physician (plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, ENT, derm, or opthalmolplastic) with experience with the anatomy and physiology of the face, not someone who has taken a weekend course.

There are certain things that should be done in the stirups, while others things should be left alone.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Who should inject Radiesse, plastic surgeon or gynaecologist

This is an interesting, and somewhat amusing question. Who should inject Botox and fillers into your face? I would argue a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, physicians who have years of experience and training in understanding facial anatomy, beauty, symmetry, and more. Just like I could deliver your baby or try and do a Cesarian section or a gynecologic procedure, I certainly would not be the person for the job. While any person could try and attempt to build a bridge, I'm thankful that our government hires only certified structural engineers to build our bridges. This is your health and beauty at stake, why would you take any chances?  ~Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

I favor the plastic surgeon

I would favor the plastic surgeon. There may be adjacent areas that can be treated helping you obtain better benefit in the area of interest and the anatomy is usually better understood by dermatologists and plastic surgeons than other specialists.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.