Should Radiesse Be Injected into the Tip of the Nose (By the Rim)? (Photos)

I had a NSNJ about a year ago. During consul, I asked the doctor if he could inject some filler into the left side of my tip as I had a depression. He said he could do that and he also suggested that he do injections on the rim of the right side of my nose so that he could bring it down to match the left side. As you can see from the pictures, it didn't go well. I saw another doctor and he said that the rim area is very unforgiving and the doctor should have known better. Do any of you agree?

Doctor Answers 4

Juvederm Ultra is the best filler for the tip of the nose.


Radiesse should be injected only deeply, against bone or cartilage.  The tip of the nose is a very tricky area, and Juvederm is much smoother and more forgiving for this area.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Your case looks very challenging

I am not sure what procedures you have had but looking at your photos I would guess that you had some necrosis of the alar rim tissue which is a potential risk with injectable fillers in this area. An exam and looking at some additional before photos would confirm this. To treat you current problem you may be able to get some improvement with a cartilage graft, though I would suspect that the tissue is too scarred to get a really great result with grafting alone. You might be better off with a composite graft of skin and cartilage to notched alar rim. I detailed in person exam would be needed to give you advise and which direction to go. I hope this helps.


Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Cartilage is the best rim lowering material.

Cartilage, with or without skin, is the best way to lower your rim. For 35 years I have used this with good success.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Radiesse injected in tip of nose

It would be better to use Hyaluronic Acid rather than Radiesse in this area. This way, if the results aren't as desired, Hyaluronidase can be used,

For Radiesse, I have found that sometimes vibrating the material helps diffuse it to some degree. No guarantee.

Always make sure that you are being treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.