Radiesse for Area of Bone Loss?

I have both fat and bone loss with aging and my face is thin. At bedtime I wear an occlusial split made after a bad TMJ trauma. The thing is, when I wear it, it adds volume to my face like it used to be. I wonder what is the area that the upper splint is restoring? Along my upper teeth? Is that the submalar area? How would a doc inject to restore that volume? What would help most?

Doctor Answers 9

Radiesse for Volume Loss?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Bradenton.  It's hard to say without seeing you what areas the device is improving when you wear it.  With that said, Radiesse is an excellent choice for volume loss issues in the face.  In fact, the product is so good at restoring fat and volume loss that it is preferred by HIV many patients that have severe facial fat loss.

Find a good local injector experienced with Radiesse and I think you may get some resolution of your concerns.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Restoring volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds as though you would be a very good Radiesse candidate. This filler is used to restore facial volume and contour to the aging face. Your injecting physician will likely mix the filler with lidocaine and either use an intraoral or external/surface approach for the injections.

Radiesse for Bone Loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is firmer than most fillers, so it’s a frequent fix for deep grooves and to enhance bony contours. This product typically lasts anywhere between 12 and 24 months. Radiesse is now virtually painless because it is mixed with lidocaine which numbs the areas as it is injected. Many patients even report that Radiesse injections are less painful than Botox!

But buyer beware--injection techniques can vary. It’s the art and science of what doctors do, and it’s important to choose your doctor wisely. I suggest finding a physician with plenty of experience using this product.

Radiesse for facial volume after bone loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is quite commonly used for facial volume augmentation after fat loss and bone loss which is common during the aging process. Your doctor will examine you in consultation to determine if you are indeed, a candidate. Other injectables are Sculptra and Fat Injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Radiesse works for bone loss.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


We most commonly inject Radiesse deep to enhance cheekbones or jawline.  Of course, you need to be examined, but it is quite possible to augment the lower maxilla (just above your upper teeth).

The sub malar area is more to the side.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse will improve volume of the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Patients who have teeth and gum recession, or loss of bone usually need filler to reshape the face and improve the shadows and hollows from tissue loss. Radiesse is an excellent option for this problem.

Facial Rejuvenation with Radiesse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facial loss of fat and bone volume is part of the aging process. Facial rejuvenation with fat grafting and / or fillers such as Radiesse can provide lasting results. The best way to know if you are a candidate is to consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Fat loss in the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can have fat loss with age , possibly also bone changes occure, However the main deflation of the face is loss of subcutaneous tissue. Fat transfer to the aging face is an art, where to put it/, how much? What would be the results, Risks, complications? and so on.

You need to have a consultation with a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON(AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGEON). review old pictures of you, see where the aging has occured/ and may be computer imaging can help you visualize the changes. Then decide what and who

Remember to make your decision based on qulification and not the cheapest price in town (correction od bad results is much more expensive)

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse works very well to plump the aging face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As we age the fullness of the face changes. There is more bulk around the jawline and less around the upper cheek and cheekbone. Judicious use of fillers like Radiesse in this area can give a subtle but powerful rejuvenating result. Make sure you see a practitioner who does alot of this for the best most natural result

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.