Does my vagina look loose and what is that nodule looking thing that sits above the vaginal opening? (photo)

I feel like after 2 children I am looser then I use to be. I am 36 years old. Can you tell just by looking at my pic?

Loose is a feeling

vaginal looseness is a feeling, and if you have it after childbirth, it's definitely reasonable to consider a vaginoplasty/perineoplasty procedure, where the opening is made smaller. This can make sex more enjoyable for the woman and her partner. When looseness is severe, the inside of the vagina is visible when the legs are separated. You don't have this, which is sometimes called a "gaping introitus" which is a medical term that I absolutely detest and was probably invented by some old male GYN once upon a time. I prefer the term "wide vagina" which incidentally you don't have. That said, find someone who you can talk to about vaginal tightening. There are some lasers that can work temporarily but they aren't strong enough to be long term. The tissue that you're concerned about is the hymen or perhaps a small amount of tissue that has pushed down from above, like the bladder/urethra. It isn't severe based on the photo and unless you have symptoms of something "falling out" when you bear down, it isn't to worry about. Find a good doc to talk with!

Too Loose?

Good Morning Stephann36,Experiencing greater "looseness" after vaginal delivery especially multiple vaginal deliveries is not uncommon. However to best assess this I would recommend you seek an examination from an experienced vaginal/pelvic surgeon (gynecologist/urogynecologist) for a full assessment of your concerns. This is important because choosing the proper procedure to fully address your needs would hinge on the exam in that many factors play a role in "looseness", "prolapse" etc. This is the key to individualizing your treatment plan.Best Wishes

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Vaginal looseness after delivery

You would need a pelvic exam to assess for vaginal relaxation. This is common after vaginal delivery and can be treated with vaginal rejuvenation surgery, which works to decrease the caliber or tighten the vagina. Read more about vaginal rejuvenation at the link below. 

Loose Vaginal Feeling

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. While it is difficult to tell completely from your single photo, there is always the option of consultation with a local plastic surgeon to discuss your questions and potential for vaginal rejuvenation. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Your vaginal opening looks normal

Hello Stephann36,It is impossible to give specific recommendations based on one picture. I do recommend you find a reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon, preferably a Urogynecologist with interest in female sexual dysfunction. Do not see a plastic surgeon since they have no training in vaginal surgery.The nodule seems to be a hymenal remnant which is common after deliveries.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

You need an exam to determine looseness

Your photo won't tell anything about looseness. It's a feeling, not a look. Schedule a consultation to find out how much work needs to be done.

Vaginal rejuve

Hi Stephan, I see in the photo needs a vaginal rejuvenation ninfoplastia pelvic floor repair and increased labia majora. and thanks for your question,

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN