Fibroadenoma removal during BA procedure? (photo)

This time I am wondering if the stretching caused by the BA (inframammary incisions) won't affect the the recovery of the areol incision/stitches made to remove the fibroadenoma... Thank you.

Fibroadenoma

Thank you for your questions. If you're having the fibroadenoma removed because it is symptomatic - an incision at the edge of the nipple would be ideal given the location marked in your picture. This incision can be used for breast augmentation as well (depending on the size implant you choose). If the fibroadenoma is being removed to obtain a diagnosis, a needle biopsy may be appropriate, avoiding a separate incision. Anytime you place two incisions on the breast at the same time, it can create unpredictable tension during healing.  Be sure and discuss these options with your surgeon. Good luck!

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

FIBROADENOMA​

I would like to suggest using the areolar approach for both the Breast Augmentation and Fibroadenoma removal.  From your diagram the tumor is very close to an areolar incision.  You can eliminate inframammary scars with this approach and the surgery would take less time. I would discuss this with your surgeon.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Fibroadenoma removed at breast augmentation - what about incisions

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and adenoma removal.

• A lot depends on the size of implant you are having, the size of the adenoma and if it is being removed for diagnosis or because it is causing you pain or visible changes.
  • If it is being removed for diagnosis, one option is a needle biopsy of the adenoma, avoiding a second incision.
  • So discuss this with your surgeon and discuss whether the two procedures should be done separately, given your concerns.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD