What Type of Mini Lift is Safer and More Effective?

Quicklift or Lifestyle lift?

Facial Rejuvenation - No two surgeries are exactly alike

Buyer beware: a number of ‘limited incision’ and ‘quick recovery’ facelift procedures are currently marketed to patients with names like “The Quicklift”, “The Lifestyle Lift”, “The Weekend Facelift”, “The S Lift”, “The MACS Lift”, etc. As with most things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

In my opinion, the results of surgery are in direct proportion to the time and effort that the surgeon has put into the procedure. Most of the procedures I have listed above cut corners to arrive at a shorter surgical time and quicker recovery (which, by the way, isn’t always quicker), and most of them undertreat or do not at all improve the neck. Additionally, cutting corners in the neck almost always leads to distortion of the neck area skin, which often is quite readily apparent in ‘before and after’ images of these procedures with gimmicky names. Look for abnormal and unnatural-appearing skin tension lines in the lateral neck as well as below and behind the ears.

Surgical treatment of facial aging changes must be carefully individualized to match each patient's aesthetic needs and desires. No two 'facelifts', by necessity, are the same. In helping a patient to make decisions about plastic surgery for facial rejuvenation, I always examine and assess how each aesthetic area or 'unit' of the face contributes to an individual's overall appearance: the brows and eyelids, the cheeks or ' midface, the lower face and chin, and the neck. An individualized surgical plan is then developed which addresses each patient's specific concerns and needs.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mini-lift

All mini-lifts are practically the same, its only the name attached to them that are different.  A mini-lift is type of aging face surgery that decreases the negatives of a "regular" face lift, but at the same time also decreases the positives.  The scar is shorter, the surgery doesn't take as long, the downtime is less.  However, the amount of improvement and the longevity of the improvement are also lessened when compared to a regular face lift.  Don't get me wrong, there are many patients out there that are excellent candidates for a mini-lift.  They are usually younger and with minimal aging face changes.  Patients with more pronounced jowling, neck banding, and excess skin are better candidates for a regular face lift.  Only through consultations with multiple cosmetic surgeons can you determine which surgery is best for you and your face.

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two branded Mini Lifts

You have chosen to compare two branded mini-lift procedures.

Mini-facelifts typically produce mini results with the incisions of a full facelift. They are marketed heavily with infomercials, beautiful before and after pictures. I have seen many branded minilift patients who had scars and results resembling nothing like the photographs on the advertisements.

The reviews on the procedure, particularly LSL, are scathing. Patients complain of fleeting results and bad scarring.

Why should the results of a minilift be so damaging?

During surgery, tissue is advanced after being undermined, or released from the deep tissues. It is then brought to a new position and secured with sutures. By the time the sutures dissolve, the tissues have stuck to their new position.

If a surgeon performs a minilift in an hour under local anesthesia, the claim of LSL, the amount of undermining is minimal. Therefore to receive any results at all, the incisions must be closed tighter, under greater tension. Greater tension causes incisions to spread, and the scars to be wide and unsightly. In an hour, a very experienced facelift surgeon is not done with their procedure, because the deep restructuring is not done. An experienced facelift surgeon will not stop at this point because he knows his patients will not be happy with wide scars and subpar results.

The LSL patients I have seen have had very bad scarring. Their deep tissues were not adjusted upward, and sat on the jowls just as they had before surgery.

My advice is to consult with board certified plastic surgeons on a proper facelift. Save up if you have to and have it done properly.

Board certified plastic surgeons don't have infomercials touting their procedures, so many patients will never read this post. Informed patients will be the only ones who get this far, unfortunately.

Brent Moelleken, MD

What is in a name

Lifestyle lift and Quick Lift are marketing terms for different types of facelifts.  It is easy to be confused about what type of facelift is best for you, especially when there are many advertised on infomercials like a lifestyle lift.  These are basically mini-lift type procedures but they can vary between surgeons and locations. The fact that there are different types of facelifts offered should not be a deterent, I offer my patients different types of lifts so that they can receive a customized treatment plan. mini-lift, full facelift, a lift with or without laser resurfacing or blepharoplasty.  

What really counts is that your surgeon has the training, skills and aesthetic knowledge that provides you with what is the best procedure for you.  Not every patient is the same, so why should everyone have the exact same facelift.  Subtle variations can make all the difference in capturing an individual's natural beauty.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lifestyle Lift, QuickLift: Marketing Not Technique

Lifestyle Lift, Quick Lift and many proprietary names for Facelift are for marketing purposes and do not describe a standardized or proprietary surgical technique.

The technique is surgeon-dependent, so ask your questions about expected results and recovery from the specific surgeon you are choosing.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Not a fan of lifestyle lift or quick lift

Wow, I have to admit I was surprised and pleased to see the other physician answers to this question. I agree that they are both poor choices, and all the marketing around these branded techniques are not produced locally. Nor are the results depicted. I have had to correct or revise more of these lifts than I would like to admit. Bad scars, limited to no results. Find a facelift physician that can offer you personal results from their practice, with full discussion of the results promised by facelifts vs limited facelifts.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

About the Lite-lift™ Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift.
During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.
Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. The best candidates for Lite Lift™ surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke.

Mini Lift

Good Morning Weary

Thanks for your question. As you can imagine there is not a lot you can't have done these days. A facelift should address the concerns you have so can be varied to suit.

If your skin is loose, sagging or creating the appearance of jowls you may be a good candidate for Concept™ Facelift Surgery. This type of Rhytidectomy is unique as the facelift is performed under local anaesthetic, and is less invasive than traditional methods, meaning the cosmetic surgery has a significantly faster recovery time.

The cosmetic procedure is similar to a mini facelift as it is performed with a short scar that runs in front of the ear, down to the ear lobe and tucked behind the ear. There will be no dressings or drains afterwards. This is performed as a day case, walk in-walk out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime.

Good Luck and do your research

Mini Facelifts are relatively safe procedures if performed by an experienced physician. The most important thing is your consultation with a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon in order to evaluate your concern and see if a mini facelift or regular facelift is more adequate for you.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brands of Heavily Marketed Minilifts

The other Surgeons who have posted on this issue have hit the nail on the head.  Results from an aesthetic facial procedure are most reliant on the Surgeon performing it, not the marketing or the "brand name" of the procedure.  Just as in any field or profession, there are gifted individuals and those that have less ability.  Remember that an aesthetic result isn't something that is packaged and falls out of a box.  Your result and satisfaction  will rely on the skill and artistry of the Surgeon, the postoperative care you will receive, accompanied by the follow up and reassurance that you require. Lastly, quickly performed procedures are neither safer nor more effective than a well perormed facelift procedure.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon