Cost-Saving Idea for Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

I have had children. I am in good shape 5'7 and 128lbs I am looking to to have a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. My question is I am anal about my tummy tuck and its scar and placement. I am a premed student and in this economy I don't have alot of extra money. I am thinking about having my BA done by a fellow at Lennox hill and saving the extra money to have a tummy tuck by a very well respected Doctor in NYC.I assume a BA is a much easier procedure.Is this a reasonable idea?

Breast Implants Placed through Tummy Tuck Procedure

I would recommend that you do both procedures at once for a few reasons: It will be less expensive as only one anesthesia and recovery room charge, you only have one recovery and time off form work. Your breast augmentation procedure in the right hands can be safely done through your tummy tuck incision so there are no scars on the breast - this is my favorite approach over the past 25 years when both are done at the same time.

Saving Money on Surgery

It may not always be the best idea when it comes to surgery, but if it feels to be a necessity, you can best decide what compromises are acceptable to you.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and abdominoplasty

Hi Nichole, breast augmentation is not as simple as it seems.  I suggest saving your money and using a board-certified surgeon for both procedures.  You can also look into CareCredit, which allows you to pay for your surgery over time.  Many surgeons accept this, although some hospitals do not.  Good luck, /nsn.

The Approximate Costs of a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Approximate #costs can be found here on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org. Also, the costs are contingent on the specific #procedures being combined in the operation. Such will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck and breast augmentation are great procedures to combine as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital. I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail and would recommend combining the procedure as you will only have one recovery.

Costs of Augmentation, What Am I actually paying for?

In general, this prices of Breast Augmentation, Lift, or full mommy make overs as well as revisions can vary widely from city to city. For example, a breast augmentation can cost 3-4 times in LA and New York what it costs in Montana.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cost saving idea

I don't know if you have received this surgery yet, but if you are interested in saving, I would go with the Fellow for both procedures.  They are both relatively straight forward procedures, but can have much less than optimal results if done poorly.  I, in fact, completed the same fellowship and know the system there.  The best way to ensure a good result is to ask the fellow to involve a surgeon of your choosing that has privileges at Lennox Hill Hospital.  Get the list of Plastic Surgeons on staff there and see if the Fellow will call the ones you prefer to mentor him.  Otherwise, wait until you can afford to go to your surgeon of choice.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Using a resident clinic to reduce costs associated with breast augmentation with implants

To some degree the ability to achieve a successful breast augmentation outcome depends on the appearance and amount of symmetry as well as the size of the implants selected. Your outcome will depend on this and going to someone with greater experience will probably provide you with greater insight as to what to expect as well as to provide you some guidance in your decision making process. Otherwise if it is a straightforward augmentation with modest sized implants, you may achieve and excellent outcome in a resident clinic

Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation by different surgeons

Hi there-

Your plan sounds fine. I would not necessarily say that breast augmentation surgery is "easier" than a tummy tuck, but as long as there are no extenuating circumstances (that is, your breasts are not significantly asymmetric or otherwise requiring more advanced techniques), this should work out fine for you.

Your Cosmetic Plan

Your Idea is okay.  Whether your breast augmentation will be easy depends on the size and shape of your natural breast.  If  money is the main issue maybe you should get the higher cost procedure done by he resident.

Dr. ES