Question about rhinoplasty - I know a septoplasty would fix the deviated septum but would it fix my other problem?

I have a deviated septum I think, also my nose has been punched inwards, like the upper cartidge is dented. I know a setoplasty would fix the deviated septum but would it als fix my other problem. I'm only 18 and this is all new to me so I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense.

Septoplasty or Rhinoplasty

A septoplasty is designed to address functional issues related to a deviated septum. Thus, any changes to the appearance of the nose fall outside the scope of a septoplasty. However, it is not uncommon for patients to undergo a cosmetic modification at the same time as a septoplasty. This combined procedure, called a septorhinoplasty, can be an efficient way to correct a nasal problem and improve the shape of the nose–particularly for those that are certain that they want a rhinoplasty down the line. It best to discuss your objectives with an experienced plastic surgeon to get an idea of possibilities.

Septoplasty vs. Rhinoplasty

A lot of patients wonder if a septoplasty will affect the shape of their nose. The answer is that it can but only if something went very wrong with the septoplasty. The septum separates the two nostrils and acts a supporting structure for the nose (a tent pole is one analogy this is good). If a septum is deviated enough it will block one side of the nose and cause breathing problems. 

A rhinoplasty refers to changing the shape of the outer nose and is almost always a cosmetic procedure. That said, the two surgeries are often performed together when a patient desires nose reshaping and also has breathing problems due to a septal deviation.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

Hi Harry.  Septoplasty will correct for the deviated septum (wall between the two nostrils).  It will not address the upper lateral nasal cartilages.  This typically requires a rhinoplasty (may be performed at the same time as the septoplasty).  Hope this is helpful.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both of these issues can be addressed at the same time, but an examination would help elucidate your issues.

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A septoplasty alone will not improve the external appearance. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not
be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty for breathing and rhinoplasty for changing the shape of the nose

I agree with my colleague, I would seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who does a lot of this surgery.

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic surgery

A septoplasty and a rhinoplasty are 2 completely separate operations. A septoplasty is performed for obstructing bone and cartilage in the back of the nose nose. This is known as a deviated septum  and is performed for medical necessity to improve airflow through the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty can change the shape of the nose by straightening the nasal bones, straightening the cartilages and making the nose more symmetrical from the outside. Patient's must pay for the rhinoplasty themselves, while a septoplasty  is billed to the patient's medical insurance. For more information and many examples,  please see  the link and the video below