Question about way to cure puffy eye for a young person. The cause is not age. Please help me to know how to cure it? (photo)

Hi, I am 28 year old and I am suffering from eye puffiness since I was 15 year old pretty much. As I got older it worsen and it was more noticeable because I got thinner. I also have hypothyroidism and I am taking medication for that almost for two years now. It is very apparent and it bothers me a lot as I am still young to have such a thing.I do not know weather it is due to fluid retention or fat. Recently, I have also developed kidney stone. It is pretty recent though.

Doctor Answers 2

This is not related to your kidney stone or hypothyroidism.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most likely this is classic herniated orbital fat.  Arcus marginalis release surgery via an transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty has become the standard approach for this.  An examination is appropriate to confirm that this is fat an not your bony orbital rim.  I am attaching a link for a page on my website with an example of this type of surgery. 

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You have a pretty significant amount of fat in the lower eyelids, worse on the right.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have had this since you were 15, there must be a genetic component to it.  From this photo, I don't think filler will help to mask it.  You may benefit however from a blepharoplasty to either reposition or excise some fat.  You really need to be seen by an oculoplastic surgeon who can help you decide what will be best for you.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.