Very uneven breast 1 month post op. (photos)

Hi, I am one month post op and I am very concerned about the different size of my breast. My left breast is smaller but projects out further and my right breast is a lot bigger and flatter. I am concerned because they have hardly changed since surgery. My right incisions are also a lot longer. Why is this?

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast augmentation

After reviewing your photos I can see the difference between the breasts. Incisons can be different between breasts if there was an underlying asymmetry before surgery. It takes several months and often closer to 6 months for the tissues to settle around the implant. I would recommend staying in close contact with your surgeon and discuss a revision if the asymmetry persists. 

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your surgery. Often it may take a few months for the implant to settle into the proper position. I would urge you to discuss this with your surgeon. The length of the incision may reflect how much tissue was removed on one side as compared to the other. 

Best Wishes

Theodore T. Nyame MD 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Breast asymmetry

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. I see what you are referring to, but I still would expect the right breast to settle and become more like the left. Your scars are healing beautifully. As best as I can tell from the photos, the position of the implants is excellent, so you probably just have more swelling on the right for some reason. Let your surgeon take a look this week to be sure. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

It appears that your nipple position on the right is higher and overcorrected but it will take at least another two months to be able to get an accurate assessment.  At this point, I would request a follow up appointment with your surgeon to review your before and after photos and to develop a plan on how to address your concerns. 

Breast augmentation/lift

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your plastic surgeon so they can examine you and answer your questions and concerns. Without seeing preoperative photographs and a physical examination, it is hard to give you an accurate answer. From the photographs, there is an apparent difference between the two breasts but because you are quite early in your recovery, it could just be due to swelling. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breasts uneven a month after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• First of all, be sure your surgeon has seen you and knows what is going on.
  • I agree that one breast is clearly lower.
  • It may need revision but this is usually not done for six months.
  • It may be that the breast crease was disrupted and needs repair.
  • Or it may be an artifact of swelling and disappear on its own.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast augmentation recovery

It is too early in the recovery period to judge your final results.  It generally takes 3-6 months for the swelling to subside and the implants to settle.  I know it's difficult to be patient, but continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.  It is common for the breasts to heal at different rates.  They are two separate breasts which each underwent surgery and will heal differently.

Camille Cash, MD

Too early

At one month postop it is too early to comment on any asymmetries that may be present. It will take 3 months for the swelling to subside and 6 months for the implants to settle into their respective pockets. Any concerns you have should be discussed with your surgeon. The longer scar has to do with the fact that more skin likely had to be removed secondary to baseline asymmetry of your breasts during the lift.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula 

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation and lift

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing your preoperative photos.  Most of the time patients are asymmetric postop because they were asymmetric preoperatively.  One month is still fairly early in the healing process.  I would give it at least two more months before becoming concerned.