Will I need a drain? Breast implant removal

Hi, I've had my implants removed 1 week ago and my left breast is quite swollen in comparison to the right. I'm worried I will need a drain. Dr said it could fix itself as it doesn't feel like much fluid is in the pocket. Opinions??? Thank you :) Ps. All answers are appreciated - I hope it fixes itself, I'm very scared as I am a huge sook!!!!

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Will I need a drain?

Only your surgeon will be able to answer that.  If they were about the same size before and the implants were removed then I agree with your concern that one side is larger than the other.  Drains are often used at the time of the surgery, or they can be inserted later.  But accumulated fluid (if that's the case) can also be withdrawn with serial aspirations (needles to remove the fluid) or allowed to absorb on its own.  Either way, though, only a surgeon who can assess you in person is going to be able to guide you with what, if anything, needs to be done at this point.  You can get a second opinion from someone near you, just to help confirm what your surgeon is advising you. I'm sorry for the problem you're having but I hope this has helped, and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Drain or no drain

The need for a drain will be determined by the fluid pocket that has collected.  Sometimes surgeons will forego a drain and excise the fluid via syringe (this is generally not painful for the patient).  Only your surgeon can determine the best choice for you based on examination.  You may need nothing but time.  No matter the outcome, these treatments are all short term, so there is no need to worry.  Keep in contact with your surgeon and be sure to discuss your concerns.

Camille Cash, MD